This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Reading books, watching movies, and watching T.V. shows are for sure some of my favourite things to do during my free time. These activities, whether I like it or not, shape my perspectives and attitudes towards so many things. As someone who gets emotionally invested in fictional characters, I have realized that watching shows and reading books that feature strong female characters motivate me and allow me to better see the type of woman I wish to become.

Here are some of the best female characters from literature, movies, and T.V. shows:

1. Miranda from Grey’s Anatomy

She went from a being a minnow to a shark; Miranda Bailey is truly an inspirational role model for all women who are working on becoming more assertive.  

2. Jo March from Little Women

This novel sets place during the early 1860s, a time when gender stereotypes permeated through all levels of society. Jo is a tomboy who has a passion for writing, which at the time seriously broke societal norms. She embodies liberation- she allows herself to feel and experience the world without restraint.

3. Anne from Anne with an E

I only recently discovered this Netflix show but managed to binge-watch the entire first season in one night. This show is based on the classic novel Anne of Green Gables and Anne’s special talent with words is absolutely enrapturing.

4. Jessica Pearson from Suits

“When Jessica Suits up, someone is Going Down”  -Candice Horde. Jessica Pearson is the ultimate badass who we all secretly wish we could become one day. 

5. Juli Baker from Flipped

This girl made the cover of her local newspaper for refusing to climb down from a sycamore tree when it was threatened to be cut down. Juli embodies the quote “be greater than the sum of your parts.”

6. Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice

Lizzy is my favourite fictional character of all time. In addition to her quick wit, independence, and bravery, Lizzy proves that women can be feminine and fiercely empowered at the same time.

7. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter

This list would be incomplete without Hermione. She doesn’t need much of an introduction nor explanation. 

Julia Li

Queen's U