6 Ways to Make Christmas Feel Like Childhood Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

As you get older, you become more aware that the holidays never feel as magical and special as they did during your childhood. One thing I miss most about my childhood Christmases is that warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia. The festivity and playful excitement of the holidays you experienced as a child can be difficult to recreate, but not impossible. If you try hard enough and bring back some age-old traditions, there’s a chance you could bring back that nostalgia.

Here are 6 activities and traditions that I will be adopting this holiday season to help make my Christmas feel like childhood again. I encourage you to do the same!

1. Sing along to some Christmas carol classics.

In elementary school, the holiday season was always accompanied by sing-along carols to all the classic Christmas songs. Indulging in holiday music is the easiest way to get into the Christmas spirit, especially when you revisit the classics from your childhood in addition to your favorites as you have grown older. Holiday sing-alongs and karaoke are the perfect activity to spark festivities with your loved ones. I recommend Justin Bieber’s Mistletoe and the ‘Boney M.’ Christmas album which contains all the best classics.

Bonus point: If you feel like going the extra mile, create small Christmas routines to perform for your friends and family. Going around the room sharing your creations will be both embarrassing and entertaining… the perfect combination of childhood nostalgia!

2. Watch old Christmas movies, plus some new Hallmark ones.

Holiday movies never get old, regardless of the number of re-watches or how predictable the plot may be. Hosting a Christmas movie marathon is the perfect excuse to get cozy with your favorite people. Consider decorating a gingerbread house while watching these Christmas movie classics. Some movies to add to your watch list are ElfA Year Without Santa ClausA Christmas Carol, and my personal favorite, Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town.

3. Drive around and look at Christmas lights hung in your neighborhood.

Looking at the neighborhood lit up with Christmas lights is one of my favorite holiday pastimes. The colorful light arrangements are beautiful to witness, especially when paired with the December snowfall. Finding houses with Christmas lights and décor is a great group activity but can also be thoroughly enjoyed alone. This activity perfectly contributes to the holiday magic of Christmas, bringing back some of the awe and beauty that made the holidays special as children.

4. Play in the snow.

When was the last time you built a snowman or an elaborate snow fort? Take advantage of the break between semesters and relax by participating in a good old-fashioned snowball fight or making a snowman. These snow-based activities are the perfect excuse to bond and spend time with friends and loved ones. The possibilities for playing in the snow are endless, and great for relieving stress. After hours of hard work and enduring the cold, you can anticipate a rewarding hot chocolate or tea for your efforts… just like when you were a kid.

5. Make Christmas tree ornaments.

When making Christmas tree ornaments, the important thing to remember is the stupider the ornaments are, the better. Nothing screams nostalgia like the handprint ornament with your face glued on it that you made in kindergarten. These crafts can be done with as many or as few supplies as you desire. Not only will these crafts be entertaining, but they will be a great memory to look back on each Christmas. I recommend using cardboard paper towel rolls, paint, and googley eyes to create Christmas elves with your face on them. Or, a simple Pinterest search will give you lots of inspo.

6. Indulge in classic Christmas traditions.

There are many childhood Christmas traditions that are often forgotten or overlooked, especially having outgrown the belief in Santa. Regardless of this disbelief, write a letter to Santa (not your parents) and send it! While you might not believe the North Pole will receive your letter, use this opportunity to discuss whatever is on your mind and make a wish or two. Address your letter to Santa Claus and use the mailing address: North Pole, H0H 0H0, Canada. If you’re lucky you might even receive a letter in return. After writing your letter, don’t forget to leave out milk and cookies on Christmas Eve. Not only will you have participated in an age-old tradition, but you’ll have the perfect treat to begin festivities on Christmas morning.

Bonus point: Go to bed early on Christmas eve and wake up at the crack of dawn to annoy the rest of your family in beginning festivities. There is no time for sleep on Christmas. Use the extra hours of the day to enjoy your holiday break, spend time with loved ones, and fully appreciate this magical time of year.

Macayla Preeper

Queen's U '24

Queen's University | Fourth Year, Sociology Major Her Campus Co-Chair Executive