6 Reasons Why You Need to Watch The Umbrella Academy, Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

The Umbrella Academy is a Netflix superhero show based on the comic book series of the same name by Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá. It revolves around a family of adopted children who have unique supernatural abilities that once fought crime together but have grown apart over the years. They have reunited once again when they learn that their adoptive father has died and their long-lost brother has finally come home to ask them to help save humanity from the apocalypse. With amazing characters, an intriguing plot filled with plot twists and action and a visually dazzling production, this show is definitely worth watching – and deserves to get renewed for a second season. Here are six reasons why you should watch it:

1. The Talented Cast

The cast is put together with some recognizable faces such as Ellen Page, who stars as Vanya, and Mary J. Blige, who plays Cha-Cha. It also features a lot of new talent. Each character is played skillfully and the cast has amazing chemistry together. The new faces are memorable and super talented, and I can’t wait to see their future work!

2. The Diversity

The positive representation of minorities is another great reason to watch the show! The Umbrella Academy is racially diverse and has notable LGBTQ+ representation. It also features strong female leads, each of the important characters with a range of personalities. It is so important for minorities to see themselves on screen and for girls everywhere to look up to powerful female characters, so it is great to see this inclusivity in the show.

3. The Extraordinary Characters

The characters on the show each have unique traits that set them apart from each other. Each storyline has a depth that allows the audience to learn more about each character’s personality and backstory (my personal favourites are Klaus and Number 5). Their eccentric personalities are humorous and exceptionally fun to watch and explore on screen. The characters are one of the main aspects of The Umbrella Academy that makes it highly worth watching.

4. The Exciting Plot

Each scene is carefully scripted and important to the overall plot as well as to individual character development. The depth and detail put into the plot and dialogue are satisfying, engaging and continuously helps the audience understand what is happening with ease. The plot twists and exciting scenes are what kept me hooked on the show.

5. The Beautiful Production, Cinematography, and Fashion

The production, cinematography, and fashion on The Umbrella Academy are mind-blowing. The set is unreal and each landscape stands out, leaving the audience amazed at the level of detail and realism put into it. Fun fact: the show was filmed in Toronto and Hamilton, Ontario! The fashion, particularly the Umbrella Academy uniforms and the entire wardrobe of Allison, one of the protagonists, is aesthetically beautiful and pleasing to the eye. The cinematography induces a certain feeling of curiosity that left me wanting to know more and more about the story. Each of these components is significant to the story and characters, adding a lot of depth. Overall, the level of detail put into each creative aspect of the show is something that undoubtedly enhanced my enjoyment as I watched the show.

6. The Soundtrack

The Umbrella Academy’s soundtrack is yet another thing that stands out as you watch the show. The songs featured are easily recognizable and the audience can enjoy the familiar tunes as they watch the story unfold. The soundtrack has music that consistently relates to the plot and the innovative instrumentals create just the right emotions within each scene. I enjoy the soundtrack on its own just as much as I appreciated it while I watched the show.

Happy Watching!

hamdah shabbir

Queen's U '20

Hamdah is a fourth year English student at Queen's University. She loves painting, music, photography, and of course, writing. She hopes to publish her own novels someday in the future.