The 6 Best Stretches to De-Stress at Your Desk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Exam season means that we’re all spending plenty of time at our desks, whether that means at home, at the library, or CoGro. Stretching has been shown to reduce stress, improve posture and circulation, and release tension. Taking a short break to stretch also gives you a chance to clear your mind, and start working again refreshed and more alert.

So here’s a list of the best ways to take a healthy and stress-reducing break, all of which you can do at your desk!

1. Wrist Twists

Writing a 3000 word essay? Make sure to give your wrists a break! Extend both arms out in front of you and make fists with your hands. Rotate your fists in toward each other and continue for as long as you’d like. Then switch directions.

2. Chest Opener

Chances are, if you’ve been hunched over textbooks or a keyboard, your back wants a break! Stand up straight and open your arms out to the sides. Turn your palms to face forward and press them back. Then turn your palms to face backward and repeat. Continue to alternate.

3. Forearm Stretch 

Resting on your forearms while trying to calculate what you need on the final to pass the class? Be kind to you your arms by giving them a good stretch! Extend both arms out in front of you and turn your left fingertips down with the palm facing away from you. With your right hand, grab the left fingertips and pull them toward your body. Turn your left palm to face the body, then repeat. Repeat the stretch on the opposite side.

4. Neck Tilt

Reading, studying, and writing usually mean that you’re looking down for extended periods of time! Be sure to stretch your neck and take a deep break. Stand up straight and reach your left hand overhead, placing the palm on the right side of the head. Gently pull your head to the left shoulder and hold. Switch sides and repeat.

5. Shoulder Blades  

Hunching over textbooks often means rolling your shoulder forward. To stretch them out, sit up straight and roll back your shoulders until the shoulder blades are pinched together. Release and repeat.

6. Spinal Twist

We’ve all done this, but here’s a reminder of everyone’s favourite stretch! Sit tall in your chair, and keep your feet together. Put your left hand on the desk, hold the back of your hair with your right hand, and twist to the right. Release and repeat the twist in the other direction.

It may seem weird to stretch in the middle of the library, but others will understand that you’re taking a (much needed) break and you may inspire them to do the same! Taking a break when you still have to write 3000 words seems counterintuitive, but an effective and smart break can improve your workflow and productivity. So make the most of that break, and relax your body and mind with these stretches!

Rachel Baitz is a fourth year Film and Media student at Queen's University, graduating in 2017.