5 Summer Songs to Remedy Mid-Winter Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

As we approach the end of January, the winter season has long lost its festive atmosphere and feels a whole lot more grey and dreary. It’s usually about this time that I begin to dream about the summer: the warmth of the elusive sun, long sunset drives with the windows down (however impractical for us long-haired humans), and the ability to experience the great outdoors. If you’re like me and feeling a little nostalgic for nicer weather, here are a list of songs to bring you back to that summer mood.

1. There’s Still a Light In the House – Valley

Written by a Toronto-based band for their new album, this song features a warm, sailing synth sound that will make you nostalgic for the beach.

2. Sunset Lover – Petit Biscuit

This aptly titled instrumental tune will bring back memories of summer nights, and is the perfect chill-out song to put on your playlist.

3. Tikka – Scott Helman

You may have heard Scott Helman’s irresistible, toe-tapping “Bungalow” on the radio a few years ago. This one is a lesser known (though equally catchy) song that is reminiscent of warmer weather.

4. She’s Got You High – Mumm-Ra

You may recognize this song’s distinct, summery electric guitar riff from films such as Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging and (500) Days of Summer.

5. Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa – Vampire Weekend

This seaside-esque song’s hook will have you tapping your toe for days.

Despite the temperature outside being below zero, hopefully these suggestions will make your playlist a little warmer over the next few months.

Sabrina Fielding

Queen's U '21

Sabrina Fielding is a third-year Con-Ed student at Queen's University, majoring in French. Some of her passions include writing, music, languages, exploring new places, and arguing about what makes the perfect chocolate chip cookie.