This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

We’re officially in the heart of fall. Though autumn does have its fair share of rainy days, when the sun finally does emerge, glittering off the changing leaves, there’s nothing better than going out to enjoy it. The new reading break Queen’s has implemented this year is the perfect opportunity to go explore the vast number of beautiful locations within driving distance of Kingston. If you’re aching to recruit a few friends for a day trip and blast that new album you’ve been meaning to listen to, look no further!

1) Downtown Belleville

Right off the highway, Belleville has a beautiful, historic downtown that’s perfect for a stroll on a chilly autumn day. It’s home to many cute bakeries and restaurants, including the adorable and unbelievably delicious sweet shop, Glazed and Confused; they even feature salt shakers full of multi-coloured sprinkles on their tables!

2) Wolfe Island Corn Maze

Okay, so this isn’t exactly a ROAD trip, but it’s definitely a great destination regardless! Just hop on the ferry from the mainland to Wolfe Island and head to the Wolfe Island Corn Maze to put those navigation skills to the test. This is a really fun activity to do with a group and is also a great way to get outdoors and enjoy the fall weather!

3) Leslie Street Spit– Toronto

If you’re looking for rural-meets-urban, this is the place for you! Leslie Street Spit is a 5 km walk along Toronto’s waterfront. It’s a great place to get out for a stroll, go for a bike ride, or even bird watch.

4) The Big Apple– Colborne​

If you take the 401 West back home, this one’s hard to miss. While I personally have never been here, I’ve passed it more times than I can count while driving to and from Kingston, and I’ve always wanted to check it out. It just screams fall with its delicious-sounding apple pies and pastries– not to mention it has a train ride for kids, and a restaurant.

5) Algonquin Park

This is a classic option for those wanting to experience a true Canadian fall; though it’s a little far from Kingston, being able to witness the spectacular colours of the changing leaves is always worthwhile. It’s home to lots of wildlife, and even has a newly-renovated visitor centre that features a lookout, allowing you to see the entire breathtaking panorama.  

Sabrina Fielding

Queen's U '21

Sabrina Fielding is a third-year Con-Ed student at Queen's University, majoring in French. Some of her passions include writing, music, languages, exploring new places, and arguing about what makes the perfect chocolate chip cookie.