The 5 Promises You’ll Make (and Most Likely Break) to Yourself Going into the New School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Beginning of school year resolutions are quite similar to New Year’s resolutions; they’re good in principle, but actually executing them can be difficult. It’s okay. You’re human, and these are hard promises to keep. Just keep trying your best and everything will work out in the end.

1. You will attend every class

Nobody’s perfect, and nobody expects you to attend every class – that’s just unrealistic. I’d say set your goal for at least 90%; give yourself some wiggle room. Self-care is important and not every 8:30 is meant to be attended.

2. You will eat healthier this year

This promise is a great one because the less specific you are, the easier it is to keep. Healthier doesn’t have to mean meal prepping and nothing but “health” food. It can mean setting the goal to eat a vegetable with every meal or not getting that poutine after the bar every weekend.

3. You will watch less Netflix

This promise is easily trackable! If you’re noticing you’re finishing a season a week, you might not be keeping your promise. However, making manageable promises, like not watching Netflix while doing homework, could be a step in the right direction.

4. You won’t go out as much

University is about more than the degree you leave with; it’s about the memories you make. Now, how can you make memories if you always stay home? This is the logic that will win 9/10 times. It’s okay; you’ll get ’em next year.

5. You will go to the gym more

You’ll probably start out strong, going your goal amount of times. Then, as the weeks pass by, you’ll begin to think of excuses, and by the end, you’ll happily sit at home with your feet up. It’s the thought that counts.