david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Halloween Movies for Scaredy-Cats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving has passed us by, it’s time to carve the pumpkins and start planning your costume for the upcoming Halloween festivities. Now, we all know that no Halloween is complete without watching some good flicks with all of your closest friends. But what if you are one of those people who can’t handle the stress of scary movies? That is why I have compiled this short list of movies that will keep you from having nightmares and still get you into the Halloween spirit!

1. Young Frankenstein (1974)

This is a great choice for any classic movie buffs out there. Written and directed by Mel Brooks, this film tells the story of the grandson of Dr. Frankenstein, who is brought back to Transylvania to continue his grandfather’s work. With its sharp, witty humor and memorable characters, Young Frankenstein is sure to keep you entertained without keeping you up at night.

2. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

This one is for anyone looking for a fresh take on the zombie genre. Shaun of the Dead follows the titular Shaun (Simon Pegg) as he and his friends and family fight to survive a zombie apocalypse that hits London. Equally as funny as it is suspenseful, this movie will keep you laughing throughout its entirety.

3. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

This cult classic has become a staple of Halloween celebrations over the years, and for good reason. The story of a young couple staying the night in a gothic castle with an eccentric group of people and their over-the-top leader, this movie is filled with memorable musical numbers and crazy characters that will keep you engaged. Just be ready to get weird with this one! Also, it’s a good idea to look out for a local theater putting on screenings with audience participation.

4. Edward Scissorhands (1990)

If you are looking for a more romantic film that still melds with the Halloween spirit, then look no further than Edward Scissorhands. This tale of an outcast with scissors for hands who is taken in by a suburban family is both heartwarming and entertaining, and succeeds at keeping a slightly darker tone that makes it perfect for the season.

5. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Although most people have probably already seen this Tim Burton classic, it’s always a great pick for any Halloween movie night. The iconic story of Jack Skellington is a must-watch for people who love Halloween. It is also a perfect choice if you are spending Halloween night with the whole family.

These are my picks for the best Halloween movies to watch if you hate getting scared. Make sure to break out some good snacks, get your friends together, and enjoy a stress-free spooky evening!

Alison Gallagher

Queen's U '19

Queen's University Class of 2019 Major in Political Studies Minor in World Language Studies