This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Hey frosh! Welcome to the best university in the world. We know you love it, but here are some tips to make you love it so much more.

1. Get Involved

So, you probably hear this one all the time, but that’s just because it’s so important. Getting involved by finding a job on campus, joining a club, or volunteering in the community will not only keep you busy, but will give you the opportunity to meet people with similar interests to you. Not only that, but you will be able to be friends with people in other years and programs that you might not have ever met if you hadn’t put yourself out there. Finding that family away from home is important, and where better to start then by doing something you love!

Bucket List: Join a club that you would’ve never joined in high school. Maybe you finally want to try being in a play, doing improv, or joining the student government. You can do it!

1. Discover Your Study Spot

Time to hit the books! After all, you came to university to have fun…and study. There are tons of libraries on campus and so many little spots to get cracking on your readings. Discover these places early, so you know you have a tried and true place to get all of your work done. Whether that’s in Club Stauff, the Harry Potter room in Douglas, or in a empty classroom in Mac-Corry, it’s important to find a place that is not filled with distractions to stay up-to-date in school.

Bucket List: Find a secret study spot that only you (and maybe some of your friends) know. This will save you lots of time during exam period when there are no more spots left at the library.

1. Never Be Afraid to Ask for Help

Your health and well-being are important. If you’re ever feeling depressed, whether it’s due to your personal life, academic stresses, or any other reason, always remember that you aren’t alone. Queen’s has fantastic services to make sure you get back up on your feet. There are counselling services at Student Wellness Services, tutors available through ASUS Peer tutoring and more.

Bucket List: Go to a prof’s office hours. They’re only human and their job is to help you succeed in your classes! Introduce yourself; it’ll be good for the both of you.

1. Try all of the Food!

Did you know Kingston has the most restaurants per capita in Canada? How amazing is that? Discover your favourite places and take your friends!  The best place to start is on Princess Street, downtown. There are a ton of cool restaurants that are sure to hit the spot.

Also, why not try some of the food on campus when you’re not in the mood for the caf? Check out Common Ground Coffee House (located in the ARC on the second floor) or the Tea Room (located in Beamish Munro).

Bucket List: Venture off campus and find a cool restaurant to show off to your friends! There are tons of places, just get digging!

1. After Trying all of the Food, Get Active

The Freshman 15 is real but don’t worry, it’s not something to be scared of. You can keep those pounds off by taking a visit to the ARC, joining some cool classes, or joining intramurals with your friends. Find time in your week to get some activity! It’s fun and not only that, but you will feel more balanced and healthy, which will result in you having a great year.

BONUS: Represent Queen’s and Represent It Well!

You chose Queen’s and because of that, you are now part of one of the best families in the world! Go to the football games, dress in tricolour, and be ready to cheer like crazy (Oil Thigh anyone?)! School spirit here is insane, and this year’s bound to be a good one. Have fun, but remember, represent Queen’s well and always remember to respect your fellow peers, faculty, and everyone else that makes our school what it is.

Until next time, stay golden.

Queen's University, class of 2017 Psychology major and Health Studies minor