12 Things Not to Miss at Queen’s Hoco

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

It’s that time of year in Kingston again… The leaves are beginning to change, the temperature is beginning to drop and the hope that once sparkled in the first years’ eyes has begun to fade with the arrival of midterms. Thankfully, Queen’s Homecoming is just around the corner to give you that dose of fun that you desperately need. Here are the top 12 things that you don’t want to miss out on this weekend!

#12: Purple Jesus

You may be asking yourself what the heck is a Purple Jesus?! Is it a religious deity? Is Queen’s actually a cult? Lol no, sorry to disappoint. Purple Jesus is the drink of champions, consumed by many a Gael over the 175 glorious years of Queen’s existence. It is preferably made in a (clean) bathtub or large garbage can (but really any vessel will do), and consists of grape Kool-Aid, ginger ale, and vodka. Measurements of each ingredient varies depending on your taste. So grab a cup of the nectar of the gods and toast to another great year at your favourite university! Please drink responsibly ☺

#11: Jacket Slam

Is there a more beautiful sound (or sight) than hundreds of engineers, alums and current students alike, simultaneously slamming their GPAs on the ground? I don’t think so. Remember folks, make it sound like a cannon firing, not a machine gun!

#10: Patio Ritual

Have you ever been to Ritual at Clark Hall before? If your answer is no, then head on over there this Friday between noon to 6pm for the chance to make some new friends and enjoy a classic pitcher of Turbo, Sangria or whatever is on tap. If your answer to the above question is yes, then still head on over to Clark! This week’s ritual will be outside on the “patio” and will, of course, have alumni in attendance. Don’t be scared if your faculty is not Engineering, Clark Pub is for everyone, just not people from Western.

#9: Purple People

You thought you had seen it all during Frosh Week, but trust me that was just the beginning. Your fellow eng friends will once again be dyed purple with glorious gentian. But, this time it’s the frosh.

#8: Pancake Kegger

Set your alarms for 9am and get ready for a breakfast that you’ll never forget. The pancake kegger is a quintessential experience for any student and the best way to kick off your Saturday morning.

#7: Oil Thigh

Nope, not a new moisturizing trend. The Oil Thigh is a time-honored traditional dance that reflects our Gaelic roots. Full history and directions can be found here: http://www.queensu.ca/encyclopedia/o/oil-thigh. But, honestly, no one quite knows the words!

#6: ReUnion Street Festival

This festival is a rather new, but successful homecoming initiative that began in 2014 and has since become an integral part of the weekend. This year the festival will be held on Saturday, October 15, at 8:00pm to Sunday, October 16 at 2:00am. The venue includes “artistic and musical entertainment, celebratory food and drink, and interactive programming. Student clubs, including All the Queen’s Men (Queen’s University’s original all-male a capella group), Queen’s Musical Theatre, and Flow Dance Club.” (http://www.queensu.ca/alumni/homecoming/homecoming-events/2016-10-15/reunion-street-festival ). Additionally, Walk Off the Earth will be headlining the concert portion of the festival.

#5: Parade

This year, the alumni parade will take place before the football game, leaving Grant Hall at 11:40 am and winding its way to West Campus. It’s a great opportunity for current students to interact with alumni and get pumped up for the football game!

#4: Football Game

This year marks the opening of the newly revitalized Richardson Memorial Stadium. On Saturday, October 15th, at 1pm, the Queen’s Gaels take on the Windsor Lancers. If you were not able to secure tickets in time, never fear! There are many other opportunities to see your Gaels in action:

“Women’s Rugby

The No.7 women’s rugby team (3-2) hosts the York Lions (3-2) in the first round of the OUA playoffs on Nixon Field at 3pm on Saturday.

Men’s Rugby

The men’s rugby team (4-1-1) plays their final home game of the regular season against the Brock Badgers (3-3) on Nixon Field at 1pm on Saturday.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team plays Friday at 5pm against the No.8 UOIT Ridgebacks (10-2-1) and Sunday at 1pm against the Trent Excalibur (2-10-1). The Friday evening game will be played on Miklas-McCarney Field, while Sunday’s game will be in Richardson Stadium.

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team (5-4-3) hosts the UOIT Ridgebacks (3-7-3) Friday at 7pm on Miklas-McCarney Field before heading into Richardson Stadium for Sunday’s 3:15pm matchup with the Trent Excalibur (2-8-3).”

(source: http://gogaelsgo.com/news/2016/10/12/general-gaels-this-week-homecoming-weekend.aspx?path=general )

AND MUCH MORE!

#3: Tricolour Wear

Take advantage of all of the sales going on this week at Tricolour Outlet, Oil Thigh Designs, and even Facebook posts on Free & For Sale to stock up on all of your tricolour needs. After all, the blue, gold, and red colours that we proudly wear are not meaningless. Tricolour is a symbol of our pride that we have for our school and all that it stands for.

#2: Alumni Connections

Homecoming’s true purpose is to welcome back alumni and to carry on traditions together that foster the amazing and diverse community that has come to define our school. Take advantage of the opportunities available this weekend. Go to department sponsored alumni events. Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself and ask questions. These people were once students too and are Gaels just like you. You may have more in common than you think.

#1: Making lifelong memories and lasting friendships

As cheesy as it sounds, events like homecoming can create the most amazing friendships and memories. As Ferris Bueller says, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” Take time for every moment this homecoming and make sure that you’re able to enjoy it for what it truly is, a celebration of our school and its remarkable students, faculty and alumni. Cha gheil!

Third year English major at Queen's University in Kingston, ON, Canada. Witty ginger who loves yoga, canoe tripping, roasting veggies and marketing.