jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 11 Things I Learned from Travelling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

We all know by now that we live in a travel culture. It’s not abnormal to pack up for a year and live as a nomad travelling the world. I’m not at all ashamed to admit that I’m one of those people who enjoys taking off, hopping onto a plane and disappearing. Every time I travel, I learn something new about the world and myself. Travelling to Romania this time was no different. If you’re a traveller, you’ll probably relate to the things I’ve learned:

1. It’s refreshing when everything is new and exciting.

You landed, you’re on fresh soil in another country and there’s so much to see! It’s so exciting knowing that you probably haven’t seen any of this stuff before.

2. Culture is fascinating… and confusing.

Sorting out a culture can sometimes take your entire trip. Every country has its own way of doing things and what’s acceptable back home might not be here. Learning about a new culture is absolutely fascinating and might also leave you scratching your head.

3. There are always ways to communicate.

You might not be able to speak the same language, but there are always ways to communicate. Body language is a funny thing and you just might find yourself doing a whole lot of pointing. Not to mention, a smile can go a long way.

4. Children are the same everywhere.

They might not all be identical, but at the end of the day, kids always have an incredible enthusiasm for life. No matter where, they love to laugh and love to play. Seeing children in another country is such a lovely reminder that we’re not all that different from one another.

5. Immigrants and refugees aren’t actually rude at all.

A lot of times, we have this preconceived notion that foreigners are rude. However, they really might just be having a hard time adjusting or learning the language. Seriously, I’m a friendly person, but in another country that doesn’t speak English, I can barely order a coffee and thank my barista. Perspective, people!

6. You’re capable of being alone.

But that doesn’t mean that you want to be. Being in a different country alone is a great indicator that you’re strong and independent. You’re able to find your own way and figure things out. You’re more than capable, so when you choose to travel with someone else, it means that you truly want them around.

7. Medical insurance is important!

Chances are, you won’t have any issues when you travel. But listen to this girl right here who found herself in a foreign country with a gallbladder attack and with doctors wanting to remove it. Having a medical insurance team that will advocate for you – just in case – is a must!

8. It’s okay to not be okay.

You’ve travelled alone – we know you’re a warrior. But sometimes you miss home. You miss Canadian food, English speakers everywhere you go and you might even miss your mom. It’s okay to have moments of vulnerability. We all do.

9. Meeting new people changes your life.

The best place to learn is from other people. When you travel, you get to meet people from all over the world. You get to learn little pieces about all these different places. Your life becomes richer and you just might make some lifelong friends.

10. Your perspective on life will never be the same.

You’ve now tasted another part of the world and seen something you’d never be able to see back home. Normal will never be just normal anymore. You’ve been enriched by culture and experiences.

11. Food food food!

You might put on a couple pounds and that’s totally acceptable, because food is great. What’s even better is getting food that you can’t get at home. Enjoy that food food food!

Jana Lee Morris

Carleton '17

Jana is a Canadian native who ventured overseas and landed in the United Kingdom after graduation. Having achieved a degree in Visual Arts and English, she seeks to pass her passions onto the next generation; teaching in an English school. She is passionate about empowering individuals, has a deep love for food, and can often be found in her natural habitat in the classroom teaching, or in the gym training for powerlifting. On weekends and breaks, you can find her travelling and exploring new cultures, probably with local cusine in hand. Most of all, Jana is passionate about leanring, and ensuring everyone has the opportunity to learn - including herself. Soon, you will see her entering her eighth year of school to finally obtain a master's degree; four degrees later. If you want to follow along, you can find her on Instagram @janaleemorris_