10 Things to do in Kingston Under $10

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

So you survived the holidays, but did your bank account? We can all identify with the struggle of wanting to get great gifts for everyone on your holiday list on one hand, and being a broke university student on the other. Of course, many of us inevitably give in to the holiday madness and our poor, already-thin wallets all but disappear! Now that the holidays are over, many of you are without much cash to spend but still want to get off campus once in a while to do something fun.  If this sounds familiar, this is the article for you! Here are ten fun things to do in Kingston for less than ten dollars, for those days when a trip to The Lazy Scholar just isn’t enough.

1) The Screening Room

Love movies, but hate the price? Head over to The Screening Room on Princess Street! They have shows every night and matinees on the weekends for just $8.00 for students! Better yet, go on a Tuesday or Student Thursday and get your ticket for only $6.00 and still have enough money for some delicious popcorn! You probably won’t find your usual Tom Cruise flick here, but you might enjoy a change of pace with an independent, alternative, foreign or classic film! Just remember to bring your student card and enough cash to buy your ticket (they’re cash only).

2) Agnes Etherington Art Centre

Located right here on our very own campus, the Agnes Etherington Art Centre! The art centre is a great way to pass a quiet afternoon admiring new exhibits and it’s everyone’s favourite price – free for students! If you’re going with others who aren’t Queens students admission is $5.00 for adults and $3.00 for students and seniors, or go on a Thursday – it’s free for everyone then too!

3) Skating in the Square

Thanks to this ice storm almost everywhere has become a skating rink, but the City of Kingston actually sets up a few intentional ones too. By far the most picturesque is the one in Springer Market Square, but a little closer to Queen’s is the one in City Park! Bring your own skates and strut your winter stuff for free! Check out the City of Kingston website for more locations and other details!

[pagebreak]

4) Cloverleaf Lanes Bowling

It may be a little old school, but it’s still a lot of fun! Get some friends together and go for a night of bowling at Cloverleaf Lanes! Their Star group package (minimum 6 people) includes the shoe rental and two games of bowling for only $9.50 per person! But call ahead to reserve your lane, you don’t want to be disappointed!

5) Original Hockey Hall of Fame

If you’re in love with the best game Canadians can name, then you need to head over to the Original Hockey Hall of Fame! It’s located at the INVISTA Centre on Gardiners Road, so it’s quite a trek to get there by transit, but at least Queen’s students get to ride free! The Original Hockey Hall of Fame will be worth it though; boasting hockey’s first and only square puck and Canada’s first gold medal for hockey, among lots of other attractions and information, all for our favourite price – free!

6) Fort Henry

For the history buff, or anyone else who likes cool, old, potentially-haunted places!  Admission to the Fort is only $5.00, but bus-ers beware! No buses go up the hill directly to the Fort, so unless you have a car the trip over there will include a minimum of about 15 minutes of walking. Fort Henry is a big part of Kingston’s heritage and of Canada’s history, why not spend a day getting to know more about this beautiful city (and country) we get to call home?

[pagebreak]

7) Laser Tag

Another old school one, but seriously, laser tag is by far one of the best indoor group activities! At Putt ‘n’ Blast on Bath Road one game of laser tag is $7.97 plus tax, or if you’re feeling a little more low-key, while you’re there do some glow-in-the-dark mini-putt for $9.29 – because everything is better when it glows in the dark! They’re open until 9:00 on weekdays and 11:00 on Friday and Saturday, so go out there and have a blast!

8) Cataraqui Archeological Research Foundation

All the history and archeology students out there will love the Cataraqui Archeological Research Foundation! The CARF’s Interpretive Centre displays artifacts chronologically, placing the many finds of the Foundation in order to give a history of Eastern Ontario in the last 8000 years. A fantastic place to learn about Kingston’s history and a little about archeology too! Located on Princess Street, the CARF is open Monday- Friday and admission is by donation.

9) Museum of Health Care at Kingston

Have a bunch of friends in Nursing you can’t keep up with? Take a look at the Museum of Health Care at Kingston, on George Street halfway between Botterell Hall and Waldron Tower! The Museum of Health Care at Kingston has a lot of fascinating exhibitions about science, medicine and Canadian contributions to the medical world. With guided tours and by-donation admission, you’ll be spouting medical facts that are sure to impress even the keenest of nurses in no time!

10) Pan Chancho Bakery

Although we tried to keep restaurants from this list since it’s easy to spend less than $10.00 at a fast food joint or coffee shop, this place looks too good to leave out. The only Kingston restaurant voted as a Top Choice on The Lonely Planet, Pan Chancho is a breakfast and lunch bakery and café on Princess Street. Not everything on the menu is under $10.00, but if you go for breakfast or brunch (available until 11:00 am every day of the week) and take advantage of the % 15 student discount they offer, we’re sure you’ll find something delicious you’ll love without breaking the bank. All their eggs are local and organic, and all of their dishes, including lemon currant rolls, brioche and apple cider bread sound to die for! Buen provecho! 

There are many more amazing things to do in Kingston on a budget that we couldn’t include here, so keep your eye out! Look for restaurants with live music, film screenings that offer student prices and more as the weather brightens and more outdoor activity possibilities open up. Until then, stay warm and have some winter wonderland fun!

Vickie Sprenger is an Arts student at Queens University. She has always loved to write and is very excited to be part of the Her Campus team during Queens University's Her Campus debut. A Mississauga native originally, Vickie loves to spend her time reading, writing and making people laugh.
HC Queen's U contributor