10 Things to Do at Home

As everyone knows, due to the coronavirus, we must all practice social distancing; basically, we're pretty much on lockdown. If you're unsure of what to do while stuck at home, try these 10 things.

1. 1. Finish Assignments and Study for Exams

I know you don’t want to hear this, but the sooner you start your assignments, the more time you'll have to work on them. Furthermore, if you use this time to finish assignments and study for exams, then you will probably receive a high mark that you will appreciate later.

2. 2. Watch Movies and/or TV Shows

Whether it’s Netflix, Disney+ or regular cable, take some time to catch up on your favourite TV series. Watch that show or movie that you have been dying to watch or just binge watch a series such as the Harry Potter or Marvel films.

3. 3. Read a Book

a bunch of books

Read comics, poetry or novels. There is a right book for everyone, you just have to find it. Immerse yourself in a book and allow yourself to be taken on a journey!

4. 4. Catch up with friends: FaceTime, texting and more

If you’re feeling lonely, then you can FaceTime with your friends and see what they’re up to! You can even reach out and message old friends.

5. 5. Play Video Games

A smartphone user holds their phone, playing a game that looks like Candy Crush

Throwback to when we used to play Poptropica, Minecraft, Webkinz and/or Miniclip. If you're bored, maybe check out the sites that you used to love as a kid (and maybe still do). You can also play games on your Wii, Xbox or Nintendo Switch, if you have one. Furthermore, you can always play League of Legends online. If none of those interest you, then you can always go to the app store and download games such as Subway Surfers, Jetpack Joyride, Temple Run, Candy Crush, Heads Up and/or Draw It.

6. 6. Work Out

Maybe now is your chance to get those abs you’ve always wanted. Put away the chips and try a home workout!  Go on YouTube and find a home workout that you can do by yourself or with your family. 

7. 7. Cook and/or Bake 

baking ingredients on a table next to a cupcake tray

Try helping your parents cook dinner, or better yet, cook dinner for them all by yourself. Why not cook or bake your favourite dish/dessert? You can look through cookbooks your parents might have or go online to find a recipe. There are so many things that you can cook and bake regardless of how experienced you are. So channel your inner chef and have fun!

8. 8. DIY

Check out Pinterest and see if there are arts and crafts, recipe ideas or DIY outfit ideas that would be interesting to try.

9. 9. Learn Something New

Maybe take this time and learn a new instrument or a new language. There are plenty of online tools to help with this, such as YouTube tutorial, Duolingo, or Rosetta's Stone.

10. 10. Organize your Room

Dorm room with collage

Use this time to clean your room. You can even redecorate it, or move some furniture around for a fresh look!