The 10 People You Have on Social Media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

When scrolling through the various social media feeds available to us, you’ve probably noticed some patterns in the way people present themselves online. This list is by no means exhaustive, and you can fall into more than one category, but there is one thing for sure: everybody has these people on social media. If you don’t think you have one of them, there’s a good chance you’re that person.

1. The Essay Writer

This person doesn’t post a single thing on social media unless it has at least four lines of text. It doesn’t matter if the picture is of their dog, the sunset, or if it’s National Boyfriend Day (especially if it’s National Boyfriend Day); there will be a well thought out essay with a thesis and several supporting points for you to read. They just have a lot of feelings and want to express them.

2. #The #Hashtag #Enthusiast

You know the one. It could be a picture of a tree, and they would caption it with a leaves emoji and add 20 hashtags to make sure we know what we’re looking at. They’re either trolling for likes through the discover feed on Instagram or just really #like #making #us #pause #in #our #sentences #for #no #reason.

3. The Caption Queen

The photo could be blurry with their left thumb getting in the way, but you can bet the post is still going to rake in the likes thanks to their witty and enticing caption. You won’t find a simple emoji or random song lyric accompanying one of their posts. The caption could be a pun, a play on words, or just a classic chirp of the person’s own self, but you know that it’s worth the read.

4. The GoFundMe Requester

They’re going on a hot air balloon trip around the world and request your help to make it possible! Listen up girl, I hope you find yourself the funds for such a trip, but I can’t afford balloons – let alone hot air balloons – so I’m out.

5. The “Same Selfie, Different Background” Fiend

That person who makes you unnecessarily reload your Instagram feed because you think it’s showing you old posts. No. It’s just the exact same selfie again with a different lipstick and background. They’ve found their optimal spot for lighting and they won’t settle for anything less than it.

6. The Meme Tagger

This is the person you keep on Facebook so that you’re always up to date on memes. They’re always bringing them onto your feed and occasionally they’ll even tag you personally in one. A person can only hope that they one day achieve a meme IQ high enough to be granted this status.

7. The Family Member

They’re always there with a like, a supportive comment to hype you up, or a cute video of your cousin or uncle doing something super cool. They give you some serious vacation envy and can also give you a good laugh. All around a great person to keep on the feed to guarantee you’ll get a like with a nice comment on your new display picture.

8. The Person You Went to Summer Camp With Five Years Ago

You haven’t spoken to them since you exchanged home phone numbers at the end of the one week of camp you attended together. Despite this, you’re up to date on their life, all thanks to the magic of social media. It’s an interesting relationship because it involves no direct contact aside from the rare like on a photo, or share on an article.

9. The Ghost

They haven’t actually posted anything on Facebook in five years, but every once in awhile, a rare picture or status will appear to remind you of their continued existence.

10. The Avid Event Liker

This person is interested in every event within a twenty minute radius of them. If there’s an event, they are there with the interest button clicked. The probability that they actually make an appearance is pretty low, but you don’t mind because you’re always up to date on upcoming events, thanks to them.