This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

As much as we are all dreading it, winter is coming and it’s coming fast. Indiana winter is not something to be taken lightly, it will get into the negative temperatures so make sure to go shopping before that happens! Here’s a few items that will hopefully make winter a little easier on you!

A nice, big, cozy coat and/or vest!

A necessity for winter is definitely a nice coat! Another big thing this year is vests! These will be sure to keep you warm, whether you’re walking to your 8:30 or walking home from a long night out. They will become your best friends in the next few months so be sure to get nice ones! Color wise, black is always the safest option, but if you want to add a pop of color to your life then go right ahead! My only advice is don’t get one in white!

Hand Warmers

Hand warmers will literally save your life. If you’ve never heard of them or used them, they are basically little packets that you shake to warm them up. Then once they are warm just stick them in your pockets or in your gloves and they will keep your hands nice and toasty! Walmart sells a pack of 10 ‘Hot Hands’ for about nine dollars and they are definitely worth the money!

A cute beanie!

Beanies are an amazing way to spice your outfit up and to also keep your ears from freezing off. There are so many different styles, brands, and colors that you can choose from! Some come with poof balls on them, others have a fuzzy lining, and others are more for fashion than warmth. Personally, I am a big fan of the C.C Beanies! They are super cute and cozy, and they have a ton of options to choose from!

Boots

Winter boots are a must have! The last thing you want is to have to trudge through snow in your tennis shoes and have soaking wet and freezing feet the rest of the day or walk on ice in shoes with no traction and fall. A couple things to look for when buying winter boots are to find a pair that has good traction and will help you not fall. Also find some that will help keep your feet warm and are waterproof. Winter boots are definitely not the cutest things out there but if you look hard enough you can find some cute ones that still cover all the necessities.

There you have it! These are just four of the main things you should look into getting for the coming winter. There are many other things you can get but these are just what I viewed to be the most important! Make sure to bundle up and be safe this winter!

Harlie is from a very very small town in Indiana and is a freshman at Purdue majoring in Studio Arts and Technology. She enjoys reading, watching movies, painting, and saying stupid jokes. You can most often find her laying in bed ignoring a huge pile of homework and watching Netflix. Follow her college adventure on Insta @harlie.garrett
Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.