This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

As temperatures drop and snow begins to fall, one of my favorite things to do is to grab a cup of tea and read a book. In the spirit of winter, I’ve come up with a list of my favorite reads for when it gets chilly outside, and a tea that I recommend for each book!

Book: Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance by Ruth Emmie Lang

Tea: Peppermint Tea

As one of my favorite reads of last year, I can’t help but recommend Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance. This story takes you on a journey across protagonist Weylyn Grey’s life, from when he was a young boy being raised by wolves to an older man yearning for the wonders of his childhood, through the perspectives of various characters who come to know him over time. Though rife with magic, this story is deeply rooted in the complexity of not only our own lives, but the lives we’ve impacted just by being here. I’ve paired Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance with a peppermint tea in spirit of the story’s brisk and adventurous nature. 

Book: The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Tea: Masala Chai

Speaking of adventure, take a chance at this bestselling fantasy-adventure series. You might be daunted by the number of books in the Wheel of Time series as I was, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. There are plenty of characters to fall in love with and a fantastic world to immerse yourself in, but my favorite part about reading this book was the sheer sense of nostalgia and wonder I felt while reading it. If you want to go on a world-saving adventure from the comfort of your room—and potentially be the chosen one yourself—then I’d pair this book with a masala chai just for a kick of spice. 

Book: Legendborn by Tracy Deonn

Tea: Jasmine Tea

Keeping up with my trend of recommending fantasy books is Legendborn, an Arthurian-inspired low fantasy novel about a girl named Bree who discovers a secret society of students called the Legendborn that protect mankind from demons and learns that she possesses magical power herself—both of which may reveal answers about her mother’s death. This story is powerful, emotional, and incredibly engaging—an excellent take on a young adult fantasy that simultaneously provides insight into how Bree’s African American heritage impacts her life and her own magic. I’m pairing Legendborn with jasmine tea, because with a story filled with high stakes and packed with action, it helps to stay calm and alert for whatever twists the story throws at you. 

Whether you’re spending time outside in the cold or inside to stay warm, it’s important to stay healthy and hydrated during this particularly turbulent season, and maybe even keep your mind occupied by picking up a book or two. Enjoy your winter, and I hope you’re able to find your new favorite read—or a new favorite tea! 

Shree Balasubramaniyan is a Purdue student majoring in Communications with a minor in sociology from Redmond, Washington. Apart from her love of writing, she can be found reading, singing with her acapella group, attempting to rock climb at the campus gym, or listening to her intricately designed monthly playlists.