Why Joining Her Campus Was One of the Best Decisions I’ve Made

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I had always seen Her Campus articles pop up on my Facebook page but I would never have believed it if someone had told me that one day I would be writing for them.  I always thought that the people who wrote for Her Campus were experienced college writers who wanted to do that for a living, and not just anybody who wanted to write.

I never thought about joining Her Campus until the May of my senior year of high school. I had a friend who interned for them for three weeks and she loved it. She told our whole friend group that we should get involved with HC because it was a fun website. She had told me that Purdue’s HC had not been active for a couple years and as a joke she told me to start it up again. I laughed this off and I completely forgot about what she told me until I was in one of our libraries and saw a flyer for HC Purdue. I emailed the person listed on the flyer and told her I wanted to get involved. She emailed me back within the day, and before I knew it, I was both a writer and part of our PR team. Now this may seem like a lot to be thrown into but it was one of the best decisions I ever made. There are two main reasons I have loved being a part of HC Purdue for the past couple months: the writing and the people I’ve met through it.

I decided to sign up to write for HC because I thought it would be a risk and I would become a better writer through it. I had always loved to write but was never the absolute best at it by any means. At first, thinking of topics was hard but I realized that if I just write about my life and what I’m passionate about then the writing will come more naturally. If you have read any of my previous pieces, you know that I have written about some pretty sad and heavy topics that have happened in my life. Though there were moments that writing about those topics was extremely difficult, I’m happy I pushed through and finished the pieces. Writing about suicide and death were, in a way, therapy for me. I could get out everything I was feeling and had bottled up since the events occurred, and it felt so nice to just let it all out. I think writing is a great way to let out your emotions and tell the world how you feel and I am so grateful that I now have an opportunity to share my thoughts and feelings about anything I want with the world.

The reason I am so grateful to have joined HC was because of the girls I have met. Every girl I have met and talked to have been so sweet and nice. I count myself very lucky to know that I have found girls who I consider very close friends just by joining one club. Though we have not been friends for that long, the memories and laughs we have shared over these last couple months have been many.

Karly McNeish is a freshman at Purdue University studying Public Health. She loves traveling, Gilmore Girls and trying new foods. She is originally from New England and Boston will always have her heart. Karly is a new member of the Twin Pines Cooperative House and she could not be more excited to start her new adventure with all the other Twin Pines Girls. Follow Karly on instagram @karlymcn.
Jennifer Rowella is from Ridgefield, Connecticut. She is a junior at Purdue University studying Speech, Language, and Hearing sciences and is the Senior Editor of Her Campus Purdue. Jennifer enjoys reading, cooking, watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix, and being a part of various clubs on campus.