This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Thanksgiving has always been a holiday full of food, family, and laughter. Each year, typically, I alter back and forth between spending time with my dad’s side of the family in Indianapolis or mom’s side of the family in Fort Wayne. Wherever my family goes though, we are always stuffed and napping by the end.

Every Thanksgiving with my mom’s side, the food is always the center of attention. My grandma works so hard every year, making every homemade dish she can for everyone. Not only do we have turkey, but we have three different types of turkey up for grabs. Out of dark, white, and fried meat, my personal favorite is the fried turkey because I love the salty, crunchy skin. However, I’d have to say the best part of our night is always the dessert. From a homemade pie crust recipe, handed down by my great grandmother, my mom bakes a classic pumpkin pie and warm apple pie. After we’re filled to the point of exhaustion, most of my family takes a nap, and later, the younger cousins go around trying to coax anyone, whose woken up, to play hangman with the white board.   

On my dad’s side of the family, we all gather together at my godmother’s house on the lake to watch football and stuff ourselves. First, we start the evening off with a cocktail hour in which all the men yell at the players on TV. We continue to all get caught up as my aunts command the kitchen, finishing whatever dishes are left to make. Second, we all start to eat the amazing meal they’ve prepared and go to finish the game. After the football games have wrapped up, we all start Black Friday shopping online and handing out our Christmas lists to aunts. Nearing the end, my cousins and I start to get restless and begin to play pool, shuffleboard, or blackjack to finish off an amazing evening with family.

Thanksgiving is a time I treasure with my family, and I hope everyone else has a fantastic holiday this fall!

Abbie Gillig

Purdue '23

Abbie Gillig is a bubbly, outgoing girl from Fort Wayne, Indiana. Currently, she is attending Purdue University as a psychology major. This coffee enthusiast can be found shopping with her friends, jumping around at football games, or racing to get her homework done. She loves watching friends on Netflix, sleeping, and spotting puppies in her free time. Follow me on insta @abbie.gillig to watch my reckless life unfold!
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.