What do Other Cultures Celebrate during December?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

The month of December marks the end of the year and the beginning of the festive season of Christmas – undoubtedly one of the biggest celebrations in the year. However, there are several other countries and cultures that do not celebrate Christmas and instead have their own unique traditions and festivals that should not go unnoticed.

The first festival I want to mention is Hanukkah which celebrates the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem, Israel. This is celebrated by Jewish people all around the world for eight days. One of the main rituals of Hanukkah is lighting a candelabra which is called a “menorah” in Hebrew. On the first night, you only light one candle and on the second an additional flame is lit. By the eighth night, all candles will be kindled.

Another festival celebrated in December is Kwanzaa. It is an African American celebration of life from the 26th of December to the 1st of January. It is often celebrated through songs, dances, storytelling, poetry, and food. Every night for all the seven nights, families would gather to discuss each of the seven principles, called the “Nguzo Saba” in Swahili. These principles are unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity, and faith. On the seventh day of Kwanzaa, family members give each other handmade gifts to promote creativity and purpose.

Lastly, on the 31st of December, the Japanese celebrate Ōmisoka which means “last great day”. This is one of the most significant dates on the Japanese calendar. In Ōmisoka, you must not leave any loose ends because it is considered to be inauspicious and closing the book on any unfinished business will prevent the misfortunes of one year from running onto the next. Some also ring bells at Buddhist temples 108 times to represent each of the earthly sins at the final hours of Ōmisoka.

All these festivals have a common theme of unity. Uniting with family and friends to eat, play, and celebrate the ups and downs of the year as well as wishing and hoping for a bright and

prosperous new year. As this year comes to end, it is important to show your appreciation for all your family members and friends, regardless of whether you do that through Christmas, Ōmisoka or Kwanzaa.

I hope you have a lovely December. Happy Holidays and a happy new year!

S P

Purdue '24

Hi. When I'm not writing or reading, I like to stay active and hang out with family & friends.