This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

We are almost there. The sun is breaking out of the clouds and the temperatures are rising above the nasty 10-20 degree range. While I do enjoy not having to wear a heavy winter coat to simply make it to class, I find myself still looking ahead to Purdue’s upcoming spring break. Unfortunately, there is still about 5 weeks, a dozen midterms and three projects I need to complete before I’m able to take a long break. But until then here are some quick weekend trips around the West Lafayette and Lafayette area when you need a little trip away from campus. 

Clegg Memorial Gardens: 

This collection of flora and fauna runs alongside Wildcat Creek and homes a large variety of plants native to Indiana. There are miles of trails that can offer long hours of hiking all overlooking the water. There are many opportunities to explore the gardens and become immersive in the great outdoors. This location is about a 15 minute drive from campus.

Columbian Park Zoo: 

The next stop is the Columbian Park Zoo which originally opened in 1908 and is the second oldest zoo in Indiana. When the zoo was first opened it housed animals such as foxes, skunks, deer, prairie dogs and a wolf, but now have over 90 different species. There are so many activities to explore throughout the zoo such as a butterfly garden, a display of Public Art and even a petting zoo. Admission is only $2.00 for everyone ages 3 and up and is only a 9 minute drive from Purdue’s campus. 

Explore the Downtown Districts: 

One of my favorite activities since moving to campus has been to explore the surrounding areas. The most exciting events I have experienced are within the Downtown Districts all within walking distance or even a short bus ride from campus. 

• Chauncey Village District: This district is still technically on campus, which is great if you don’t want to travel very far or just want to fill some time. This area ranges from the edge of Purdue campus and borders the waterfront or better known as our next district. Chauncey Village is a great place to experience more of a college nightlife and enjoy the Purdue experiences. 
  • Wabash Riverfront: The next district is the Wabash Riverfront and covers the area from River Road in West Lafayette to 4th street in Lafayette, encompassing the Wabash river. This area is known for hosting large events throughout the year and houses so many attractions within this district to explore over multiple days. 
  • Arts & Market: The final district within the Downtown area is called the Arts & Market. This area is quite large creating a square ranging from 4th street to 12th street and North street to South street. This area holds a number of cute little shops and many restaurants which can occupy and explore throughout the whole day. It is by far my favorite district downtown because it offers so many places to see and activities to do. 
Kendell is a writer at the Her Campus Purdue University chapter. She's been a part of Purdue's Her Campus chapter since fall of 2023. Her favorite topics to write about include entertainment, the music industry and about her favorite experiences around campus. Beyond Her Campus, Kendell is a freshman at Purdue University, majoring in Communications with a minor in History and Creative Writing. Originally from Noblesville, Indiana, she grew up visiting West Lafayette and loves the student life. In her free time, Kendell enjoys listen to music especially Taylor Swift. She is also really into reading and loves to talk about her latest reads, majority of which involve romance. She loves to bake and back home is known for her banana bread muffins, coffee cake and chocolate chip cookies.