This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Before: This week the 2023 VMAs, Video Music Awards, are airing on Tuesday. I am currently coming up with my predictions for who I think will win each category! These are my personal opinions and predictions. To add on, I will not be covering all categories. I will only be looking at my top five favorite categories. At the moment that I am writing this, the VMAs have not yet happened and no winners have been announced! So, here we go! 

1. Best Album: Her Loss by Drake and 21 Savage, Renaissance by Beyonce, Heroes & Villains by Metro Boomin, SOS by SZA, Endless Summer Vacation by Miley Cyrus, and Midnights by Taylor Swift. I am slightly biased due to my love for Taylor Swift and her music, however, I think that this will be named Best Album this year due to the success on the charts and her hugely successful Eras Tour. 
  1. Show of the Summer: The nominees are Taylor Swift, BLACKPINK, Drake, Beyonce, Karol G, and Ed Sheeran. I think that this will be a close call between Beyonce and Taylor Swift. They are both extremely successful and famous women in the music industry at this moment. But, I am predicting Taylor Swift will win this standoff against Beyonce.  
  1. Best Collaboration: The nominees are TQG by Shakira and Karol G, I Like You (A Happier Song) by Doja Cat and Post Malone, Calm Down by Selena Gomez and Rema, Creepin’ (Remix) by The Weeknd, 21 Savage, Metro Boomin, and Diddy. I predict that Doja Cat and Post Malone will win this category even though I would personally like to see The Weeknd win this category. 
  1. Song of the Summer: There are an extreme number of nominees in this category. They include: Barbie World by Ice Spice, Nicki Minaj, and Aqua, Dance the Night by Dua Lipa, Karma by Taylor Swift and Ice Spice, La Bebe (remix) by Peso Pluma and Yng Lvcas, What Was I Made For? By Billie Eilish, Paint the Town Red by Doja Cat, Seven by Jungkook and Latto, Fast Car by Luke Combs, Rush by Troye Sivan, Do It Like That by TOMORROW X TOMORROW and the Jonas Brothers, Cupid by FIFTY FIFTY, fukumean by Gunna, vampire by Olivia Rodrigo, CUFF IT by Beyonce, Kill Bill by SZA, and What It Is (Block Boy) by Kodak Black and Doechii. I think that since Barbie was such a big movie this summer, that one of the songs off of the soundtrack will win, specifically Dance the Night
  1. Artist of the Year: The nominees are Taylor Swift, Doja Cat, Shakira, Beyonce, Karol G, and Nicki Minaj. I am going to have to go with Taylor Swift again. I back this with the fact that she has had such a huge year. In the past 12 months, she has released her album Midnights, announced and began the Eras Tour, released her album Speak Now Taylor’s Version, and announced that she will be releasing another album in October, 1989 Taylor’s Version.  

After: The VMAs are officially over and the results have been released! Let’s take a look to see if my predictions are on point or off base! 

1. Best Album: I predicted that Midnights by Taylor Swift would win and I hate to say it but, I told you so! Taylor Swift took home the trophy for Best Album this year. 
  1. Show of the Summer: I predicted that Taylor Swift and her Eras Tour would win and I was correct with this prediction as well! It was well deserved. I saw this show in Chicago and it was probably the best tour I have seen. 
  1. Best Collaboration: My prediction was that Doja Cat and Post Malone would win with I Like You (A Happier Song). I was incorrect with this prediction. Shakira and Karol G won this category with TQG
  1. Song of the Summer: I predicted that Dance the Night by Dua Lipa because of the popularity of the Barbie movie. I was off base with this prediction as well. Jungkook and Latto won this category with Seven
  1. Artist of the Year: For the final category, I predicted that Taylor Swift would win this category. Surprise, surprise. I was correct with this one as well! Again, this was a well deserved win for the queen of pop, Taylor Swift. 

Overall, I was three for five this year with my VMA predictions. As a Taylor Swift fan, this was a very exciting VMAs season. While I only covered 5 categories, there were so many more and a ton of well deserved wins. Taylor Swift alone won 9 of her 11 nominations. To add on, NSYNC reunited at the VMAs for the first time in years. And finally, Olivia Rodrigo performed a medley of two new songs off of her new album, Guts. It was a successful VMAs season and I am already looking forward to the next year of music! 

Carissa Ray is the senior editor at the Her Campus Purdue Chapter. She edits all articles under all topics for the chapter and helps with events throughout the semester. She also writes articles for the chapter and typically writes entertainment pieces. She has been a member of the chapter since January of 2023! Carissa is currently a junior studying at Purdue University. She is majoring in Psychological Sciences with minors in Spanish and Forensic Sciences. Aside from Her Campus, Carissa is also on the board of the Purdue Chapter of Omicron Delta Kappa, a leadership honors society. She is the Service and Events Chair as well as the stand-in Alumni and Awards chair. For the honors society, she is in charge of creating the monthly Alumni newsletters and editing them. She is also a mentor for the College of Health and Human Sciences. In the future, she hopes to become a Forensic Psychologist and potentially work for the FBI. When she is not busy with school, Carissa is a huge book nerd and loves to read anything with mystery, romance, or fantasy. She also loves dancing and is part of the Purdue Higher Ground Dance Company. She enjoys jazz, hip hop, and theater dance styles. Finally, if she has any extra time, she is a TV buff and enjoys binging TV shows like Modern Family, The Vampire Diaries, or Supernatural.