This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Okay, you might not remember the time when Twilight was practically a religion in every
household. You might not remember friendships ending over the Jacob vs. Edward debate. And
you might not remember wishing Edward Cullen was your boyfriend. But I do. So, when Netflix
put the series of movies on its platform, I decided to re-watch the saga. So, after not watching the
movies in over a decade, I was shockingly surprised about my reaction as an adult. Although I
felt nostalgic, and apparently everyone else did too, I decided to write my article on the
comeback I never expected to happen.

Months ago, while shopping at Target, I saw a girl with an Edward Cullen backpack on. I
laughed at the time, remembering my obsession with Robert Pattinson as a middle-schooler. A
couple weeks later, after strolling through Netflix, all of the Twilight movies were in the “10
most watched” films. Again, I laughed and wondered why people would re-watch the series. I
mean, wasn’t Twilight a thing of the past? Yes, you might be thinking about how “cringey” the
movies were or how terrible the acting was, particularly by Kristen Stewart, but there is some
truth involved. So, I decided to watch the first ten minutes of the film for fun one night but ended
up watching the whole thing! Although some scenes were “cringey”, don’t get me wrong, I sort
of fell in love with the series again. But, why? Why do I, and so many others, have this
“obsession” with a book series and collection of movies?

Everybody has a different answer. It could be the love story/Shakespearean tragedy of Bella and
Edward’s relationship. Despite it all, they ended up together. It might be the supernatural element
involved with vampires and werewolves fighting over their territory. For me, I think I gravitate
towards Twilight because of the nostalgia I feel towards the series and books. They just bring
back good memories. I mean, watching Robert Pattison and Taylor Lautner wasn’t a downside.
*hehe*

What are your thoughts? Were you also an avid Twilight fan or did you detest the series? Let me
know down below!

Jordan is a junior at Purdue and majoring in History with two minors in Classical Studies and Forensic Science. Originally from Indiana, she loves drinking chai lattes, playing tennis, binge-watching Netflix, and spending time with her golden-retriever dog, Beau.