Style > Beauty

Try These Styles to Take Your hair to the Next Level

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

My least favorite part of getting ready in the morning is trying to figure out what to do with my hair. Whether it is freshly washed or on its’ second day, my hair is usually hard to configure into a style that is presentable and stylish. Recently, I have been experimenting with easy, everyday hairstyles that are suitable for a girl on the go. Luckily, my roommate has long, beautiful hair and has been gracious enough to let me practice on her. From braids to buns and everything in between, we have tried countless styles in order to find the perfect ones. Here is what worked for us:

There is nothing I love more than a good braid. I taught myself how to braid when I was thirteen and it is probably one of the most useful skills that I have. As a girl who was always active, knowing how to braid made me the designated hairstylist of every team I was on. Once you master how to braid, there are countless hairstyles that you can achieve. If you don’t know how to braid, don’t be scared! There are tons of tutorials on YouTube that will walk you through step by step.

I love adding simple braids or even French braids to a low ponytail or when my hair is down to add texture and make the look more unique. I have always loved the way braids look in my hair. Sometimes I do a side braid if I want a softer look and other times I French braid all my hair if I want to look a little sportier.

Pro tip: Try pulling on each piece of the braid to make it larger and messier!

Another frequent hairstyle of mine is the classic messy bun. Even though it has the word “messy” in the name, it is actually pretty tough to achieve. It seems that every time I try to put my hair into a messy bun, it never looks quite right. It’s always when I have nowhere to go that it seems to look perfect.

I love throwing my hair into a bun because it keeps my hair out of my face while making it look super cute at the same time. This is always a great option because you can also do a lower bun at the base of your neck to make the style chicer.

Another option is throwing some cute barrettes in your hair. This has recently become extremely popular and trendy to do. There are so many kinds of cute clips that you can find to add a little extra flair to your hair. I like to shop for them at Francesca’s!

Happy styling, babes!!

Andi Baker is a Campus Correspondent and Senior at Purdue University, majoring in Actuarial Science and Applied Statistics with minors in Management and Art and Studio Design. Originally from Manila, Arkansas, Andi loves to drink sweet tea, read, and make art. You can follow her on Instagram @andibaker
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.