Top 5 Antique and Vintage Shops in Indiana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

One of my favorite feelings in the world is when I unintentionally stumble upon a one-of-a-kind, timeless and stunning vintage item, that serves no purpose at all but to please my eyes. Going thrifting and vintage shopping is one of my favorite pastimes and since moving to Indiana I have found some great places to share with you all.

5. Any Goodwill Store

Goodwill is more of a thrifting location, but still makes this list simply because it is the gateway into the addicting world of thrifting. It’s a great place to find clothes for very affordable prices. Even better, on the first Saturday of each month, everything in the store is half off! Because of the low prices, it’s a great chance for you explore clothes and styles you’ve been too afraid to try.  If you don’t end up wearing them, you won’t feel too bad. I usually end up using those clothes for DIYs later anyway!

Some great locations:

Near Purdue- 101 Shenandoah Dr. Lafayette, IN 47905

Goodwill Outlet Store – 8345 Georgetown Rd Indianapolis, IN 46268

4. Style Encore – Indianapolis, IN

This is next on the list because it is one step up from a Goodwill, and for anyone who is looking for name clothing items for a fraction of the price. It’s nicely organized, with items of higher quality. Additionally, it’s a chain thrift store, though not as accessible as Goodwill. When I was there, a woman was shopping for a wedding dress! There were quite a few options and from what I can tell, they looked as nice as any other overly priced white dress.

Address: 7657 Shelby St Indianapolis, IN 46227

3. Main Street Mercantile – Lafayette, IN

Main Street Mercentile is located in downtown Lafayette. Run by the same people for over 30 years, the owner is extremely welcoming and quite chatty. He always seems to be deep in conversation with a customer. It sells great antique and vintage pieces, from a 1970s German bicycle to random odds and ends. There are so many interesting items in Main Street Mercentile, that you don’t even need to buy something to enjoy your visit!

Location:  1000 Main St Lafayette, IN 47901

2. Midland Arts & Antiques Market – Indianapolis, IN

Warning: Do not, I repeat, do not go into Midland Arts & Antiques Market if you have less than an hour to spare. This place is PACKED with all sorts of items that will distract you for hours. I spent two and a half hours here one day, and I still felt like I missed so much. At first glance, the store may look like just a room of “junk” (that word does not exist in the thrifting world), but all the items are arranged in a very aesthetically pleasing way. I would even describe it as a Vintage Ikea store. Anything and everything you could possibly imagine is here. You will probably also end up taking a ton of pictures too. So though this place is a bit overwhelming, it is definitely worth a go.

1. White Dog – Indianapolis, IN

I love everything about White Dog. Everything. Located on Massachusetts Avenue, which is also a must-visit, White Dog is by far the best vintage store in Indianapolis. It is a mix of funky vintage clothing as well as mid-century housewares. The owner obviously spends a lot of time on the displays of her items, because my eyes could not get enough of all the different colors and spaces. If you only have time to visit one shop, pick White Dog…you won’t regret it.

Sophomore at Purdue University majoring in Computer Information Technology. Originally from Portland, Oregon, she spends most of her time thrifting, doing DIYs, watching movies and cooking delicious vegetarian goodies.
Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.