‘Tis the Season: A Guide to Getting into the Holiday Spirit During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

It’s’ the most wonderful time of the year…or the most stressful time, if you are a college student. We are chugging Starbucks holiday drinks instead of enjoying them sip by sip. Netflix and Instagram are changed for Quizlet and YouTube calculus tutorials. Working on projects and assignments all night long, studying for final exams and attempting to get some sleep in the process is truly a crusade, and we are all getting more tired with each passing day. It saddens me to see so much stress, anxiety and exhaustion during what is supposed to be a holly, jolly season.

Even amidst all this craziness, It is so important to not lose sight of what truly matters. Christmas really is a wonderful time, and we should not waste it because of academic stress. Here are five tips for you to get into the holiday spirit, reduce the stress of finals and make your days merry and bright.

1. Play some Christmas Music: Invite Mariah Carey and Michael Bublé into your home. Seriously, it’s time. From traditional carols like “Joy to the World”, to comforting Nat King Cole jazz anthems and modern classics like “Santa Tell Me”, Christmas music will bring you unmatched joy and holiday spirit. Put on a Christmas playlist (Spotify has tons of great ones) while you are studying or eating. Or while you are showering while singing along with Kelly Clarkson’s “Underneath the Tree” (we won’t judge).
  2. Have a Christmas movie marathon: Get them all lined up: The Grinch, Home Alone, It’s a Wonderful Life…even the new Netflix Hallmark movies. All of them, we don’t discriminate. Snuggle up with a blanket and hot chocolate and disconnect from real life for a while. Christmas movies are heartwarming and so comforting, they are sure to brighten your day and put a smile on your face.
  3. Make some yummy food: ‘Tis the season to treat yourself. Especially during this stage of the semester, it’s easy to fall prey to surviving on ramen and protein bars every day. Spend some time preparing a meal you really love, whether it is a bowl of pasta for dinner or a plate of waffles. If you are in a dorm and can’t cook, get food from your favorite restaurant delivered. Yes, I am giving you permission to order Chipotle without guilt. You deserve it.
  4. Have a Christmas party: Before going home for the holidays, get together with your friends and share the holiday spirit! Get some gingerbread houses from Target and assemble them while drinking hot chocolate and listening to Christmas tunes. You can even give each other stockings or organize a Secret Santa gift exchange.
  5. Express gratitude: Part of cultivating the holiday spirit is giving thanks for your blessings, as well as letting others know how thankful you are for them. Make a list of people in your life that you appreciate, and think of ways to make them smile. You can buy gifts for them, send them a cute text or even make a photo collage of your memories together.

Above all, make sure that you prioritize your health, well-being and happiness this holiday season. Exams can be tough, but you are tougher. Merry Christmas!!

Alessandra is the vice-president of Her Campus at the Purdue chapter. She monitors article progress, ensuring they are uploaded on time and helps solve any problems that may arise. She is currently a senior at Purdue, majoring in Business Management, minoring in English Literature and concentrating in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Alessandra has worked for Victoria's Secret PINK as a campus ambassador, helping with the marketing and communications of the brand. She is passionate about entertainment and wants to work in the industry after she graduates. In her free time, Alessandra loves doing any kind of sport or physical activity. If she's not surfing, swimming or dancing, you can find her eating pasta, reading, making very specific music playlists, watching movies and traveling everywhere she can.