Tips for Visiting Your Friends in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

If you read my article last week, you know that this past weekend I went down to Nashville to visit my best friend, Hannah, at Belmont University. My other best friend, Kristen, flew from Elon University to surprise Hannah as a birthday present. It was one of the best weekends of my life and I wish the weekend could have lasted forever. For the most part, when you visit a friend at college, you are only there for the weekend so you feel as if you have to fit so much into so little. Here are my tips for how to have the best weekend of your life:

1) Go to the local restaurants

When I was with Hannah and Kristen, I wanted Hannah to take me to all her favorite places to eat because I wanted to know what Hannah’s daily life consisted of. I also did not want to go to the same restaurants I could have enjoyed at Purdue, I wanted to see the local delicacies. Hannah took us to an amazing juice restaurant for breakfast called: Franklin Juice Company. I had their standard bowl which I would highly recommend if you ever get the opportunity to go to Franklin. It was the perfect breakfast to start our day.  

Hannah also took us to this local taco shop for lunch. We had a big dinner planned so we wanted to have a light lunch that would not make us too full for dinner. This restaurant was called: bartaco. These tacos were some of the best I had ever had. I loved getting to go to all these cool places that Hannah lived so close too because I felt that I was getting the full experience.

2) Be Ready To Take Lots Of Pictures

I knew when I planned this weekend that we would end up taking an insane number of pictures over the course of the 48 hours or so I was there. I love taking photos with my friends because whenever I’m missing them I can just scroll through my camera roll on my phone. Hannah knew exactly where all the best places to take pictures were. She also knew that me and Kristen would love to be those classic tourists and take pictures in front of the most popular murals in Nashville. 

I love that now I have all these new photos on my phone so that whenever I miss Hannah or Kristen I have almost fifty new pictures of us from that weekend. Remember pictures are a great way to remember the little things in life so I highly recommend, even if you aren’t a big fan of taking pictures, to at least take a couple when you visit your friend so you have something to remember your trip by.

3) Take Naps

Your weekend is probably going to be jampacked with fun activities and late nights. It is always a good idea to even squeeze in a twenty minute nap if possible. You don’t want to be so tired after spending the day with your friend that you don’t want to do anything at night and just want to sleep. So, take a nap! Trust me, one twenty minute nap can give you that perfect energy boost you need to conquer the night.

4) Go With The Flow

No matter how hard you try and plan the perfect weekend, not everything will go as planned. That is completely ok! All you have to remember is that no matter where you and your friend are, it is going to be a good time. So, what if the party you were going to go to gets cancelled or there is nothing going on campus, have a fun game night or watch funny videos online. What really matters is that at that precise moment you are with your best friend!

Karly McNeish is a freshman at Purdue University studying Public Health. She loves traveling, Gilmore Girls and trying new foods. She is originally from New England and Boston will always have her heart. Karly is a new member of the Twin Pines Cooperative House and she could not be more excited to start her new adventure with all the other Twin Pines Girls. Follow Karly on instagram @karlymcn.
Jennifer Rowella is from Ridgefield, Connecticut. She is a junior at Purdue University studying Speech, Language, and Hearing sciences and is the Senior Editor of Her Campus Purdue. Jennifer enjoys reading, cooking, watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix, and being a part of various clubs on campus.