Style > Beauty

Tips To Prevent And Treat Mask Acne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Masks. Are they uncomfortable? Yes. Do they need be worn to protect ourselves from the corona virus? Yes. One of the effects of wearing a mask is maskne, aka acne from our facial masks. It’s caused by excessive rubbing, sort of like a rug burn, which causes irritation. Right now, my skin has been unruly around my chin and nose. If your suffering from the same problem, here are five tips to prevent and treat maskne.

Tip One: Wear only clean masks

If you’re like me, you probably don’t wash your face masks as often as you should. Dirt and bacteria from our skin gets trapped on our mask over continual use and is practically asking for a breakout. Also, have a set of basic cotton masks to use on rotation.

Tip Two: Apply a good moisturizer

Wearing a mask all day is stripping your face of its natural oils, which can lead to excessive dryness. Applying a basic fragrance -free moisturizer, like CeraVe, will give your skin the hydration it desperately needs.

Tip Three: Don’t Wear Makeup

On the other end of the spectrum, face masks cause acne as bacteria and oil are trapped under your mask. It doesn’t help if you have makeup on. It only leads to more congestion and breakouts. Also, makeup residue ends up on your mask. Sadly, no one is going to see your makeup anyway. 

Tip Four: Ditch the Medical Masks

Medical or surgical masks were not created to be reused. The texture of the mask just creates more friction among your skin. But if you choose to use one, don’t use the same one twice and throw it away it a trash can; not in a parking lot. 

Tip Five: Wash Your Face

Before and after wearing your mask, washing your face will decrease your chances of breakouts by cleansing your skin of its toxins before it gets trapped under the mask.

Hopefully, in the near future, masks will be a thing of the past. But for now, continue to wear your mask and keep yourself safe!

Jordan is a junior at Purdue and majoring in History with two minors in Classical Studies and Forensic Science. Originally from Indiana, she loves drinking chai lattes, playing tennis, binge-watching Netflix, and spending time with her golden-retriever dog, Beau.