samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Tips For Living With A New Roomie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

When making the transition to college, it may seem like the whole world expands around you and you become a tiny ant in an environment filled with more people and more situations to experience. While it is definitely an overwhelming experience filled with uncontrollable emotions, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. There is so much more to learn than just the academics you came to study; college is a great environment that allows students to grow personally and teach them how to compromise in various situations. One of the emphasized changes that come with college is learning how to live with a roommate and making yourself comfortable in your new dorm room. Having a roommate is a major change that many students experience during their first year of college. While some students may know their roommate for the new year, others choose to usually take a short survey and have their roommate randomly chosen for them. Going random for a roommate is different for every student; some students bond very well with their new roommate while others feel that they never want to be in the room at the same time as their roommate. Whether or not you are lucky with the slight probability of rooming with someone you get along with, here are some tips to make the living experience better for both sides.

The first thing you want to take care of is your roommate agreement; a contract between you and your roommate allows both of you to express the conditions you expect from each other that permits for a better living environment. Along with the contract, you want to make sure to address an issue as soon as it arises. In these situations it is important to use “I statements” when referring to the issue to ensure that you get your point across without negatively attacking your roommate. An overall major key to having a good environment with your roommate is being honest and being vocal whenever one of you feel that something can be improved.

In addition, don’t be afraid to get to know your roommate; getting lunch once a week can go a long way in building a friendship and getting to know a person. Since this is the individual you will be living with, it is extremely beneficial to get to know them on a personal level. Even finding little things to bond over can go a long way. Both of you can find new ways to decorate your dorm room to make it more homey and a positive environment to come back to after a long day of classes. Initiating communication with your roommate is essential for creating an environment that is easy for both of you to coexist.

College is difficult and being forced into a living situation that is new and unknown is stressful. Don’t be afraid to speak up if you’re ever uncomfortable about something. Communication is key for any successful rooming situation. From my experiences, any issues came from a simple misunderstanding and talking it out solved the problem immediately. Your roommate is just as nervous to start college as you are. Just remember that you are both going through the same thing. You are not alone!

Good luck!

Leslie is a current senior at Purdue University looking to major in industrial management engineering. She discovered Her Campus through her sisters, who had been apart of it when they were in college. She enjoys dancing, singing, cooking and traveling.