burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Thrifty Tips to Thrifting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

You may be wondering: why should I shift my shopping towards second-hand stores? The answer is simple: shopping at second-hand/thrift stores is a really good way to reduce your carbon footprint while simultaneously finding cute, unique, and on-trend clothes. Below are some tips I’ve compiled over my years of thrifting to help you get in the game:

Location, Location, Location

Go to the Goodwill in Lafayette; more people in the surrounding area donate there, and less students from Purdue go there since there is a closer one in West Lafayette. By going across the river, you significantly increase the quantity and quality of clothes you get to go through.

Timing is Everything

Goodwill is 50% off the whole store the first Saturday of the month. Make sure you go early because they often restock the night before. Alternatively, if you can’t make it on the first Saturday, go early in the week on Mondays or Tuesdays after they begin sorting and distributing everything new that was dropped off on the weekends!

Be prepared to be there all day!

While the store is organized, the best pieces often take a little time to find. Wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to sift through a lot to find those hidden gems! I promise it’s worth it.

Men’s section is a must

Ladies: don’t count out the men’s section! There are a lot of cute oversized coats and layers to be found, and many shirts can be turned into cute crop tops with a simple cut. It sounds odd, but the best Levi’s I’ve found have been from the Boy’s section so don’t count it out either!

Think ahead

Prioritize what items you really want: choose a combination of shoes and pants or layers and tops and go through all those items first. By doing this you will set yourself up to find those great items before other people do, and ensure you don’t spread yourself too thin across all the categories

Upcycle records and tapes

Finally, for cute dorm or room décor, scan the art/music/media sections! Old records and tapes can be turned into cute accent pieces, and old paintings can be upcycled into great new wall art pieces.

Happy thrifting!

Anisha Sinha

Purdue '23

Anisha is currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Computer Science at Purdue University. This California girl loves spending her time at the beach, reading in a cute café, and going to concerts. Follow her adventures @sinha.anisha on Instagram!
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.