Things I Learned From Having A Cat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I still remember the day I first met Paisley.  he appeared so small as she curled onto my lap. Fast forward to today: she is energetic, mischievous, constantly exploring and playing with anything in the house. I can’t tell if she grew or her personality blossomed. Regardless, I am grateful to have her in my life. After spending time with her, I have learned more about what cats are like.

Cats have different personalities.

Before I got a cat, I only heard stories about them from my friends. They told me how one of their cats would scratch people if they got close while the other one was a complete angel. Paisley is no expectation. One minute she jumps onto my bed and demands that I pet her and the next second she leaps off my covers in search for something to scratch.

They are curious about food.

It has become a routine for Paisley to watch me eat. Sometimes she takes matters into her own paws and hops onto a chair across from me so she can easily climb onto the dinner table. I feel bad when I have to tell her “no,” because she gives me a sad look.

They’re like family.

I am always excited to get home and pet Paisley, but more than that I want to give her attention and make sure she feels loved. I can feel my heart drop when I don’t know where she is since she likes to hide underneath the bed or behind book shelves. I definitely have to keep a close eye on her. One day, I glanced over to see her eating a piece of egg laying on the kitchen floor. I panicked and quickly took it away so she wouldn’t get sick from it.

They never listen.

I have to pick up Paisley multiple times and set her somewhere else so she doesn’t destroy something that I need. For instance, when I am sitting at my desk doing my homework, she starts to bite my papers and walk across my laptop, but when I place her far from me, she rushes back to my desk and the process continues again.

They don’t like baths.

I didn’t expect Paisley to be so sweet since I thought cats usually prefer to be left alone, so I thought she might be different from other cats and possibly like taking baths. I was so wrong. As soon as I placed her in the bathtub, she started meowing and squirming. I was disappointed to discover this, but it does come in handy when she follows me into the bathroom and wants to go into the toilet. I can turn on the water and she scurries away.

They’re living the dream.

Sometimes I wish I could be a cat with a good owner. I wouldn’t have to worry about food and I could sleep whenever I want. I wonder what goes through my cat’s mind, but I know she doesn’t have to worry about graduating or finding a job. After all, the only thing Paisley has to be concerned about is how she can get into my locked room, so she can claw the clothes in my closet.

Sherry is a senior at Purdue University majoring in professional writing and minoring in film. She plans on becoming a content writer or a copywriter, though she is also keeping her options open. She enjoys Youtube, her cat, Paisley, makeup, and writing.