This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Family vlogging channels have been around for what feels like an entirety at this point. Long before people were using YouTube for prank videos and gaming channels, family vlogging had taken the YouTube world by storm. In my opinion, family vlogging ended the infamous beauty guru era. There are 3 specific channels that catch my attention when I think of family vloggers: The Ace Family, 8 passengers, and Sav and Cole. The Ace Family is the most followed family channel on the YouTube platform. Social Media is really starting to change ways and I feel like with this fresh style of videos that are currently trending, it is putting the final nail in the coffin for the popularity of family channels – not just on YouTube but on all platforms where you are free to post videos.

I also feel like another thing that is really taking away the respect that people have for family vloggers is the fact that it feels like they always stay in drama online, and it also feels like they flaunt their wealth in front of us, as viewers, and people are really starting to get tired of it. Let’s face it, the kids are the real money makers with these channels. I mean think about it, as much as I love Maia Knight, I for sure would not be keeping up with all her content if there was no Scout or Violet in the picture. The kids are growing up and you can tell they are also starting to become uncomfortable with the camera on their faces constantly, which I honestly do not blame them for. I mean vlogging the kid’s birthday party is one thing, but is it really necessary to vlog them getting an eye exam? Because the kids are starting to stray away from the camera, it seems like these channels are slowly becoming more about the individual lives of the parents which, let’s be honest, none of us really care that much about.

Emani Powell

Purdue '22

Emani is currently a senior at Purdue University studying mass media communications and minoring in film and video studies with the hopes of becoming an entertainment journalist. In her free time she loves to read, bake, and binge any tv show that is currently trending.