This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

This fall break, I went back to my hometown in Michigan. I had not been home in October since
high school, so it was a bit of a surreal experience. It was also my boyfriend’s first time visiting
with me, which inspired a detailed hometown tour. My family no longer lives in the same house I
grew up in, but I drove him to my old neighborhood. It was my first time seeing it in years.
Walking through the quiet streets I used to take to get to elementary school, I was taken aback by
how little things seemed to have changed. It honestly was even more nostalgic than I expected.

The leaves had started to fall and coat the sidewalks, and nearly every house had at least some
form of Halloween decoration outside. I don’t remember it ever being that festive – it looked
straight out of a movie to me. There certainly were more decorated houses than there were when
I was a kid, and that really gave me an inexplicable wave of hope.

Being in college now, I had started to develop the sense that Halloween is dying out. For some
reason, I had convinced myself that families weren’t really celebrating anymore and that all
that’s left is putting on cat ears and partying in a basement. The past couple years that I’ve been
in school, I had experienced a false feeling of disappointment that Halloween isn’t what it used
to be when I was a kid, that we were the last generation to care about it. Finally going home this
October gave me the shift in perspective I needed.

I feel so relieved seeing there are even more kids in my neighborhood now than when I was
little. It blew my mind how invested people were in decorating, still weeks away from
Halloween night. But most importantly, my resurfaced memories reminded me why Halloween
has always been one of my favorite holidays. I’m almost tempted to go trick-or-treating one
more time ;)

Katherine Raykova is the President at the Her Campus at Purdue chapter. She’s been a part of Purdue’s Her Campus chapter since fall of 2020! She oversees chapter meetings, brand partnerships, a monthly chapter newsletter, and general maintenance to keep her chapter afloat. Her favorite areas to write about are fashion, books, plants, and all things witchy. Katherine is currently a senior at Purdue University, double majoring in Mechanical Engineering and English with a minor in Intellectual Property Law for Engineers. She has completed a year of industry experience working in aerospace consulting and is currently an undergraduate research assistant for the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue. Outside of classes and Her Campus, Katherine is also a writing tutor at Purdue’s On-Campus Writing Lab (OWL) and a mentor for the Women in Engineering program. She hopes to attend law school next year to become a patent attorney. When she gets the chance, Katherine reads and spends as much time outside as possible. She loves listening to music and going on long walks around campus and nearby nature centers – even in the winter. Most days, she practices yoga, plays with tarot cards, and drinks multiple cups of tea. When she feels inspired, Katherine writes fiction or takes on a sewing/knitting project.