This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Thanksgiving without turkey?? Yes, it is very much a thing. For my vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian friends,
or people who have family members who are non- traditional thanksgiving goers, I am here to educate
you all that turkey is most definitely not essential to an enjoyable Thanksgiving.
Having lived in California my whole life, everyone seems to be on some diet or cleanse, or have some
kind of dietary restriction, mom and me included. Some of my other family members are also vegetarian,
dairy-free, or on a diet, so Thanksgiving includes a wide variety of plates. Nowadays, this is relatively
common so I am sharing some dishes that have been on our Thanksgiving spread for the past few years. It
can be difficult to make a plate of food on this holiday when your whole family eats a different diet than
you do, so having some go-to easy recipes so YOU too have the opportunity to stuff yourself with yummy
thanksgiving food is essential.
● Meatless Meatballs
a. “Thanksgiving” Meatballs
b. Quinoa and Black Bean Meatballs
● Vegan Mashed Potatoes
● Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
● Salads
a. Avocado Goat Cheese Citrus salad
b. Vegan Harvest salad
● Raw Carrot Cake
● Vegan Apple Pie
And when Uncle Rick starts making fun of your “weird” vegan food, you just tell him to try a bite and see
how fast that’ll shut him up!

Elle Hall

Purdue '25

Elle (said "L") is a sophomore at Purdue University where she is studying health communications and minoring in biology and French. When she's not writing for HerCampus, she loves to surf (at home in California), hike, camp, and drink lots and lots of kombucha and matcha. Elle is also a yoga instructor at Purdue's rec center!