This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Taking a college course over the summer probably sounds like the worst idea ever. Why in the world would I want to do homework and take tests when I’m supposed to be on vacation? That’s what first and second semester are for. But as you build your schedule, you realize everything else you have to do. Suddenly, you have 18-19 credit hours, which is a lot of work. Most of the time, it’s too much. Signing up for summer classes may seem like a hassle, but if your school offers online classes or you live close enough that you can commute a couple days a week, it is SO worth it. You might be thinking, “well, my school isn’t close,” or “it doesn’t offer the classes I would want to take during the summer or online.” That’s okay! You can apply to be a transient student at a college closer to you or that offers the class you want to take online, and have it transfer back to your university for the same credit. I am taking a math class at a different university this summer and having the credit transfer to meet the requirements of the same level of math at my actual college. If you are unsure about whether a class would count for full credit, go talk to an academic advisor. They can point you in the right direction and give you some insight to everything that is involved.

But why is it such a great opportunity to take a summer course? First of all, it can keep your brain working. Yes, we all want a break but sometimes not working your brain for three months can actually be more destructive than helpful. If you are behind in your major progress due to a failed class or the fact that there wasn’t enough space for you the last time the class was offered, summer classes can help you get back on track so you’re right where you’re supposed to be when you return in the fall. They can also help you get ahead. Want to graduate early? Instead of overbooking your fall and spring semester schedules, take summer classes to ease the load. Trying to achieve a degree in less than four years is a lot of work; taking a summer class or two would help alleviate some of the stress. Summer classes also give you more free time during the semester. This allows you to get involved in organizations, volunteer, go to football games and relax.

Of course the last thing I want to be doing is taking math exams in July. But I know that once the fall semester begins, I won’t be as stressed right from the start. Getting that one class out of the way can make all the difference. You have no reason to think about it anymore. And it frees up more time for me when I’m a senior; I’ll have the ability to take a couple of fun electives that I otherwise never would have been able to do.

Remember to consider all of your options and talk to your friends and advisors for guidance.

Good Luck!

Leslie is a current senior at Purdue University looking to major in industrial management engineering. She discovered Her Campus through her sisters, who had been apart of it when they were in college. She enjoys dancing, singing, cooking and traveling.
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.