Wellness

Staying Safe While Travelling Home During COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

The holiday season is finally approaching. The time to be with family, friends, and those you love. Except this year things are definitely looking a little different. We are still in the middle of a pandemic which as disappointing as it may seem means gathering with family is unrealistic for most. States around the US are limiting large gatherings, indoor dining, and recommending to stay with those in your immediate family in order to stop the spread of COVID-19.

This could mean a Thanksgiving without the people closest to you, but if you decide not to listen and still visit your family it is important to be cautious and safe, so the virus is not spread to those around you. Although the safest option would be to stay home, following some of these tips will help to make travel a little safer for you and those you’re with.

A Two-Week Quarantine

Obviously if you are just now seeing this it may not be possible to quarantine prior to Thanksgiving, but it is important to keep in mind for Christmas as well. A two-week quarantine will allow for enough time to determine if you have any symptoms or contracted coronavirus prior to being with those you are celebrating with. During that quarantine it is important that you and the people you plan to visit are on the same terms about what’s expected in order to ensure safety for all.

COVID-19 Tests for Everyone

In case a two-week quarantine is not possible, two to three days prior to leaving, a COVID-19 test should be done. There are many places that offer free coronavirus tests and will determine whether you have COVID-19 at that moment. Therefore, post testing it is important to continue staying safe and socially distant in order to maintain that negative result. A test does not prevent you from coronavirus.

Try Avoiding the Airport

Although airports are open for travel and are following safety precautions, it does not guarantee safety. Masks must be worn in the airport the entire time and on the flight as well. Although planes are cleansed after landing, before sitting down clean all surfaces with a disinfectant wipe to ensure there is no contamination. Bringing hand sanitizer and even some extra face masks would be smart as well. You can never have too much PPE! Turning the air onto you will also allow for better circulation so you aren’t breathing in someone else’s direct air. In the case where a flight is not necessary, drive!! I cannot stress enough how much safer it would be to drive either alone or with those you have quarantined with. Driving ensures you are not put at risk from those who have not followed precautions. Try to avoid stopping at public places as much as possible, but if you do need to stop, wear that PPE.

Although this holiday season is not ideal, it is extremely important to stay positive. One year without those you love is better than forever due to death of coronavirus. Make your own traditions this year with your family while staying safe and healthy. If it means you cannot see family even though you miss them like crazy, just know you made the right decision to keep everyone safe in the long run. This entire pandemic sucks, but let’s try to make the most of it. Safe travels!

Gwen Ruetz is a freshman at Purdue University studying Communications. She aspires to work in the fashion industry or sports media field. Gwen is a first year writer on Her Campus and hopes to obtain a more active role in the future. She loves shopping and all things fashion, spending time with family and friends, traveling, and being active!