Sorority House Heartbreak: Why It Is Ok to be Heartbroken Over Rush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

College is all about trying new things and getting out of your comfort zone. Greek Life is one of the most popular activities college students around the country love to get involved in. However, not everything is butterflies and rainbows when it comes to sorority recruitment; and that is ok. Maybe you won’t get your dream house back or you just don’t feel like it’s for you. Here is why it’s ok to be heartbroken over rush.

I was the first person in my family to go Greek, so the entire recruitment process I had no houses in mind. I kept my mind open and love the house I am now a sister of. However, that doesn’t mean that I didn’t still experience heartbreak throughout the process. I vividly remember getting handed my first invite list back and crying over the number of houses I got invited back to. The majority of my rush group had 13 houses to go back to, but I had seven. Nonetheless, I still kept my mind open.

As rounds went on, my invite list kept getting smaller and smaller. In fact, a house that I ended up having my heart set on dropped me during second invite. I began to think, “Is sorority recruitment for me,” and “Will I ever find my forever home?” My heart was broken, and I was torn between continuing to rush and giving my last two houses a chance, or give up now and wait until COB (continuous open bidding) rolled around so I could rush my dream house.

When preference round came around, I kept my mind open to the two houses I had on my list: Alpha Gamma Delta and Gamma Phi Beta. Thank goodness I did keep my mind open because I wouldn’t have the best friends, as well as sisters, that I have with me today. 

Feeling sad and heartbroken during rush is totally normal and ok. It’s a valid feeling that most, if not all, women feel while rushing. Sorority recruitment isn’t for everyone and that’s normal! As long as you keep an open mind during the entire process you are sure to find your forever home.

Ava Smith

Purdue '23

Hello! My name is Ava Smith. I am a junior studying Advertising and Film Studies. I am from a suburb of Chicago called St. Charles and enjoy all the wonderful parks it has to offer. My hobbies consist of writing, filmmaking, and spontaneous adventures with friends. Currently, I am the Multimedia Manager for Boiler Communication and Social Media Moguel at the Hub on State Street. This is my second year being involved in Her Campus and I am so excited about all the new memories and opportunities I will make this year and for years to come!