Career

Skills Anyone Looking for a Job Should Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Each different career path has its own set of unique skills. STEM careers would consist of a variety of mathematical and computer programming skills, whereas arts careers would look for someone more creatively thinking. Either way, there are certain skills that are required for every person in every career field. Many employers look for people who have a variety of different skills ranging from communication to being able to work with different kinds of people. Here are three of the best skills to add to any skillset for any kind of job.

Communication

Being able to talk to people and convey what you want is extremely important. If you can’t get your point across, how are you supposed to get what you want and reach your end goal? Communication allows companies to work both effectively and productively. Communication also avoids confusion and provides progress in the workplace.

Collaboration

Being able to work efficiently with others is what gets progress and innovation done in life. If you can’t work well with others and take criticisms… how are you supposed to grow in the workplace? When you collaborate with people, you try and make your project as good as it can be for your client. You don’t want just one person working on a project… having multiple people allows for a variety of ideas.

Conflict Resolution

Being able to work out problems is a skill anyone should have in the workplace. Trying to end things peacefully for everyone can be hard; it requires a lot of collaboration. All sides need to be somewhat happy at the end of conflict resolution. It might not be everything they want, but by giving them at least some of what they want is needed. You need to be able to work together with all parties to reach some kind of mutual agreement.

Adding these three skills to your resume is something valuable that most, if not all, employers look for. You need to be a well-rounded individual in the workplace when it comes to job hunting. If you are a math major with just skills in the area of math, it’s going to be hard to find a job that wants you. In any kind of work setting, you need to know how to communicate, collaborate, and solve complex problems.

Ava Smith

Purdue '23

Hello! My name is Ava Smith. I am a junior studying Advertising and Film Studies. I am from a suburb of Chicago called St. Charles and enjoy all the wonderful parks it has to offer. My hobbies consist of writing, filmmaking, and spontaneous adventures with friends. Currently, I am the Multimedia Manager for Boiler Communication and Social Media Moguel at the Hub on State Street. This is my second year being involved in Her Campus and I am so excited about all the new memories and opportunities I will make this year and for years to come!