This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

During this pandemic, it’s become even easier to watch your favorite shows and movies. Instead of binge-watching the Office for the tenth time, here are seven documentaries that will open your eyes to the harsh realities many individual’s face.

Period: End of a Sentence.

In rural India, where the stigma of menstruation still exists, woman make low-cost sanitary pads in various factories to provide and educate woman on their periods. Only twenty minutes long, it chronicles the tale of a group of Indian women starting a sanitary pad business and educating India’s women through the use of their products.

Catfish

Remember Nev Schulman from MTV’s Catfish? Directed by his brother, this documentary follows Nev and his budding relationship with a woman online. Spoiler alert!  The woman isn’t the girl in the pictures. This is the story that inspired Nev Schulman to create his own TV show and help others find they truth among their online relationships.

Evelyn

Haunted by the suicide of his brother, a filmmaker and his siblings travel around the U.K as they try to mend and emotionally heal from the loss of their brother. Visually stunning, this documentary will definitely make you cry.

Rising Phoenix

In this inspiring documentary, Rising Phoenix details the history of the Paralympic games and its many disabled athletes yearning for equality in the recent Rio 2016 games.

Blackfish

This interesting documentary examines the life of Tilikum, a performing killer whale in SeaWorld. Captured when he was a baby, Tilikum has caused the death of several people while in captivity. As someone who advocates for animal rights, this documentary breaks my heart.

The Social Dilemma

In this highly controversial documentary, The Social Dilemma explores the dangerous human impact of social media. With the tech experts who designed these apps, they warn against its highly additive properties and spyware technology they program into their updates.

Athlete A

This documentary primarily focuses on the gymnasts who were sexually abused under the USA Gymnastics doctor, Larry Nassar. In the era of #Metoo, famous gymnasts, including Aly Raisman and Simone Biles, were abused by Nassar and detail their experiences in this film.

I hope you enjoy watching these documentaries! Comment you favorite in the section below.

Jordan is a junior at Purdue and majoring in History with two minors in Classical Studies and Forensic Science. Originally from Indiana, she loves drinking chai lattes, playing tennis, binge-watching Netflix, and spending time with her golden-retriever dog, Beau.