Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Save Money and Earn Prizes With These Apps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Put your money where your mouth is or better yet – put money back into your wallet with these helpful apps. After all, who doesn’t want free food and gift cards? Here is a list of apps that I have used that will help you achieve something extra for your food and shopping adventures.

Shopkick

Shopkick gives you points or kicks for walking into one of their listed stores. You can earn more points by scanning products’ barcodes shown on the app. Then these kicks can be redeemed for gift cards, around $2-$100 depending on the store. Additionally, more kicks can be claimed by purchasing a listed product and scanning the receipt and inviting friends gets you 250 kicks. When I first signed up, it gave me 500 kicks for scanning any product in the store.

Ibotta

Ibotta allows you to earn cash back on select items, around $0.50-$3.00 cash back, though one item may have more multiple tasks you can complete to earn more money, which may include watching a YouTube video or taking a poll. Once you purchase an item, take a picture of your receipt or scan the receipt’s barcode. You can withdraw money after reaching $20 in cash back but inviting friends gives you $10.

Sweat Coins

The quote provided by Sweat Coins perfectly summarizes what the app does, “The app that pays you to get fit.” Sweat Coins uses your phone’s GPS to track how many steps you walk, then these steps are converted into points or coins. You get more coins for walking outside. (One of the reasons why I’m excited about warmer weather!) I noticed that I have to walk at least 2,000 indoor steps to obtain coins, but information on its website states, “1,000 outside steps = $0.95.” You can obtain a maximum of 5,000 coins per day. The app is free but there are upgraded versions that charge $10-30 per month to earn coins faster. Examples of prizes you can obtain include a Forever 21 gift card and an IPhone X.

SwagBucks

Personally, I have used the website version of SwagBucks more than the app version, but both are similar. You can earn points or SB by watching videos, taking surveys, online shopping, searching, and playing games. 100 SB is $1, and you can start redeeming for gift cards at 300 SB or $3.00 to places like Amazon and PayPal. I like taking surveys and watching videos when I’m bored, especially when I’m in between classes and waiting for the next one to start.

Point Pockets

This app has motivated me to pay attention in class. Not surprisingly, this app is created by people who understand how tempting it is to get on our phones when we’re bored in lectures. Instead of giving into temptation, turn on the app and allow it to run.  More points are awarded the longer you stay off your phone in class or on campus so make sure to turn on your phone’s GPS. Then these points can be used for restaurant and online deals.

Forest 

If you need more motivation to stay off your phone, check out Forest. You plant a virtue seed and the seed grows into a tree when you are not using your phone but instantly die when you get on. You start with a tree, but it may turn into a forest. The best part, Forest has teamed with organizations to help plant trees in real life!

Sherry is a senior at Purdue University majoring in professional writing and minoring in film. She plans on becoming a content writer or a copywriter, though she is also keeping her options open. She enjoys Youtube, her cat, Paisley, makeup, and writing.
Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.