This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Since the start of the pandemic, my skin has literally been off the rails. And I think wearing a mask hasn’t helped things. Although I do have acne-prone skin, I’m now just getting my skin under control. After a literal mission to clear my skin, I tried a bunch of face masks to help my acne. Some helped and some made it worse. In this article, I’m going to review face masks that helped clear my skin and some that really missed the mark.

HIT: Origins Ten Minute Mask to Rescue Problem Skin

My favorite face mask of all-time! Available at Ulta or Sephora, I highly recommend this face mask if you have acne-prone or oily skin. Formulated with zinc oxide and sulfur, this mask trouble shoots problem skin by absorbing excess oil and sloughing up dead skin cells.

HIT: Glossier Moisturizing Moon Mask

If you’re looking for a mask to refresh your skin, look no further than Glossier. I love to use this mask if my skin is feeling a bit thirsty and gives my skin a glow. Containing hyaluronic acid and almond oil, it’s a perfect mask for sensitive skin.

Miss: The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution

Although it’s featured in practically every skincare Tiktok, If you have sensitive skin, please don’t use this product. As a peeling solution, it’s aim is exfoliate and help fight visible blemishes and improve skin texture. Although it’s only recommended to use once a week, this product did not personally work for me. First off, as someone with sensitive skin, this peeling solution literally burnt my face and was very painful to use. I literally looked like a tomato hours after I used this product. But I gave it a chance, and after a month of using it, I didn’t see any improvement whatsoever.

Hit: Mario Badescu Whitening Mask

I hate acne, but I hate acne scars more. They remain on your face for months constantly reminding you of a horrible breakout. With Vitamin E and Licorice root, this mask is formulated to address discoloration. So, I gave this mask a try and has helped lighten up my dark spots and areas of redness. I would recommend using this three times a week to see results.

Miss: Aztec Secret Deep Pore Cleansing Facial Treatment

Don’t even get me started. This mask simply did not work for me. After hearing rave reviews on YouTube over this acne-solving clay mask, I immediately bought it. It only cost a couple of bucks and I wanted to see if it would help clear my skin. When I got my hands on the product, you have to mix a clay mixture with water and set it on your face for twenty minutes. Easy, so I thought. This stuff is a literal nightmare. When the clay dried, my face was literally unmovable.  Big hunks of clay were falling off my face and clogging my sink when I tried to remove it. But I gave it a try for a month in desperation to help my acne. Apparently, a miracle mask, it literally did nothing for my face and still looked the same when I bought it.

Although these are my opinions, some of these masks might work for you. Everybody has different skin types and preferences so don’t feel bad if one product works for you and not someone else. Happy skincare!

Jordan is a junior at Purdue and majoring in History with two minors in Classical Studies and Forensic Science. Originally from Indiana, she loves drinking chai lattes, playing tennis, binge-watching Netflix, and spending time with her golden-retriever dog, Beau.