Reece Arthur: College Mentors for Kids General Manager & Activities Director

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Reece Arthur ‘14

Hometown: Laguna Niguel, CA

Major: Movement and Sports Sciences

Hobbies/Interest: Playing volleyball, hanging with friends, going to the beach when I am home, volunteering my time for the community.

Campus Activities/Organizations: Beta Theta Pi, College Mentors for Kids, PETE’s PALs

HCP: How long have you been a part of CMFK?

Reece: I have been in CMFK for 3 years nows. I started my second semester of freshman year as a mentor and become a Staff Member the second semester of my sophomore year.

HCP: How did you first learn about the organization and when did you decide to join?

Reece: I actually learned about it from two people. First is Farral Hughes, who currently is the president for CMFK and is one of my good friends in the Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority. I also heard it from my friend and fraternity brother, Justin Burkhardt, who was on staff at the time but has now graduated. I have been working with kids since I was 15 and have absolutely fell in love with working with them. When they both told me about the organization I knew I had to join. So I applied and got in and could not be happier with this organization.

HCP: What is your role in College Mentors for Kids?

Reece: I hold two staff positions. One is called a GM. A GM is like a “General Manager” and what we do is supervise over a specific grade group. Our grades range from 1st-6th grade. I supervise over the 5th graders on Tuesdays. The other position that I hold is being an Activities Director. All of the mentors that we have in the program plan an activity to do with their buddy group. When they have ther activity planned out they email the details to me. I have to approve them and email them to the staff so we all know what activities are happening on each specific day. I receive all activity sheets from mentors on Tuesdays. I plan to apply for President for this upcoming year.

HCP: What do you enjoy most about working with CMFK?

Reece: What I enjoy most is working with the little buddies. I love seeing them interact with their big buddies and it puts the biggest smile on my face when I see them laughing and enjoying the activity. These kids do not have a lot so we give them the opportunity to forget about everything and just have fun. When little buddies run off the bus and give all of us hugs and are having a blast with everyone, nothing makes me happier.

HCP: Why do you think that CMFK is such an important student organization on campus?

Reece: It is a great organization on campus. If you love kids, then this is the organization for you. This organization makes you realize how lucky we all are. Being a part of this organization has helped me realize that even though we may be busy with school or work or anything else, spending time with these kids makes you forget about all of that because you are having so much fun with them and they put the biggest smile on your face. All of these kids hold a special place in my heart.

HCP: What are the benefits you receive from working with College Mentors for Kids?

Reece: The benefits you receive are different than your typical benefits. You realize you helped these kids have a fun day and gave them a couple of hours to just hang out with someone they can call their friend. With this organization you benefit from seeing the little buddies happy because you had something to do with making them happy.

HCP: Would you recommend other students at Purdue join? Why?

Reece: ABSOLUTELY! As I stated above, if you love kids and want to give back and be a part of one of the best organizations on campus, then you definitely should join! I could not imagine my life without CMFK in it because it is that rewarding to be a part of.

HCP: What is your favorite CMFK memory?

Reece: My favorite CMFK memory would have to be being with my first little buddy. He and I are exactly the same person and had the best time together. I am very energetic and so was he so it could not have been a better buddy pair. We had the best time together and I always make time to see him when I can.  

Leta is a senior at Purdue University studying Retail Management with a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Leta is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and is obsessed with her sisters. An avid shopper and fashionista, Leta spends her time working as an Assistant Manager at Twenty Ten Boutique on Purdue's campus while managing their social media campaigns. Leta started writing for Her Campus Purdue in April of 2011. It was because of her extreme enthusiasm and passion for Her Campus that she was promoted to Purdue University's Campus Correspondent in January of 2012.