Rebecca Keys: A Resident Assistant Making A Positive Impact

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Always happy to help, Earhart Hall Resident Assistant Rebecca Keys continues to help the girls on her floor, 7 West. Making an effort to make sure her girls are involved, she hosts multiple events to help create a comfortable atmosphere away from home. These events have been a hit as there are multiple things every week for the girls to participate in, including Wednesday floor dinners and Monday workouts at the Corec.

Each season she organizes special events like a Christmas movie night and a hot chocolate bar.  Going above and beyond, Rebecca even bakes for her residents, giving them yummy treats to munch on during events and meetings. Along with other RAs, Rebecca strives to help the residents of Earhart, specifically the girls living on her floor, feel welcome and at home while at Purdue.

HC Purdue: What year are you and what are you studying?

I’m a sophomore and I’m majoring in Industrial Engineering with minors in Global Engineering and Computer Science.

HC Purdue: Where are you from?

Carmel, IN

HC Purdue: Why did you become an RA?

Last year, I lived in Earhart and I was a senator for my floor. Being a floor senator made me think I would like being an RA, so I applied. At first I just applied for the RA position out of curiosity, but the more I learned about being an RA, the more I realized it would be a job I would love. I’m so happy I did apply because it has been such an amazing experience.

HC Purdue: What’s your favorite thing about being an RA?

It’s hard to pick a favorite, but if I had to choose I would say it’s my residents. I love being able to know everyone in our community and building deep relationships with them.

HC Purdue: What’s the hardest thing about being an RA?

Probably the hardest thing for me is putting my schoolwork before my job as an RA. I love spending time with my residents and working my hardest to make our community a great place to live, but sometimes it can be easy to get behind on my schoolwork if I’m not careful about prioritizing my classes first.

HC Purdue: What advice would you give to future RAs?

Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. The RA job isn’t easy, and you’ll often find yourself in difficult situaitions. However, I’ve found as an RA (and in other aspects of my life) that I always experience the most growth when I step out of my comfort zone.

HC Purdue: What is your favorite memory at Purdue as an RA?

I think my favorite memory at Purdue as an RA is bonding with the other RAs during our summer training. As an Earhart staff, we had spirit days during training and everyone went all out. On safari day one of the other RAs even bought a monkey piñata and carried it around all day, and then we burst it open and had candy at the end of the day. It was a blast.

HC Purdue: What do you do in your free time?

I love baking, spending time with my friends, and cycling. I’m also teaching myself how to play the ukulele right now.

HC Purdue: What’s your favorite place on campus?

My favorite place on campus is definitely Greyhouse Coffee. It has such a cozy atmosphere and it’s perfect for meeting friends to catch up or study.

All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.
Jennifer Rowella is from Ridgefield, Connecticut. She is a junior at Purdue University studying Speech, Language, and Hearing sciences and is the Senior Editor of Her Campus Purdue. Jennifer enjoys reading, cooking, watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix, and being a part of various clubs on campus.