Purdue: The Cradle of (NFL) Quarterbacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Fall is back with pumpkin lattes, oh so comfy hoodies, and changing leaves, but the one thing everyone looks forward to is football season! Both collegiate and NFL seasons are in full force and some of the most enjoyable things to see during these games are familiar faces. It is a great accomplishment for a university to have one of their former players start as quarterback during these intense match ups, but three starting quarterbacks? That’s very impressive, Purdue. After this past week of games, there are now three former Boilermakers starting as QBs throughout the NFL! These amazing alumni include Curtis Painter, Kyle Orton, and of course the one and only Drew Brees! I’m so proud to go to a university that has held this much talent.

Curtis Painter – Indianapolis Colts
This season, things have taken a turn for the worse for the Colts as they lost their eleven-time pro-bowler, Peyton Manning, to an injury. But as Monday Night Football wrapped up, there seemed to be a shining beacon of hope in Curtis Painter. The New Orleans native had a strong showing against the 3-1 Tampa Bay Buccaneers with passing for 281 yards. This game led the Colts to their decision of having Painter start again this upcoming Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs. While at Purdue, Painter set a school record of 540 passing yards in the Boilermakers’ victory against Central Michigan in the 2007 Motor City Bowl. He wrapped up his collegiate career in his last game by throwing for 448 yards in a victory against the rival Hoosiers.

Kyle Orton – Denver Broncos
Orton started his NFL career by being drafted as a fourth-round pick for the nearby Chicago Bears in 2005. He had to step up to the responsibilities of starting quarterback quickly as he filled in for Rex Grossman as a rookie. Orton continued to start for 15 games that season, a Bears record, along with his ten victories during that time. The 6’4” star was traded to the Broncos in 2009 where he currently plays and was named starting QB in 2010. As a Boilermaker, Orton led the team to four consecutive bowl games and a #5 BCS ranking.

Drew Brees – New Orleans Saints
Where to start with Mr. Brees?! His football career has been filled with victories and amazing milestones that most players only dream about. Brees kicked off his NFL career by being drafted to the San Diego Chargers in the second round, and was later traded to his current team, the New Orleans Saints. With a resume boasting five Pro Bowl selections, three-time NFC Offensive Player of the Year, NFL Offensive Player of the year, and three-time All-Pro selection, Brees has made his mark on the NFL! Those have not even been his biggest accomplishments though. The Texas native led the Saints to a Super Bowl win in 2010 and was named MVP. Also in 2010, he was named Sportsman of the Year. These two attainments really speak to what kind of a person Brees is. The Sportsman of the Year award is supposed to be given to someone who embodies sportsmanship and achievement, which is a monumental honor in itself. While playing on the gridiron at Ross-Ade Stadium, Brees led the team to their first appearance in the Rose Bowl since 1967. Other collegiate achievements include being a two time Heisman Trophy finalist, MVP of both the Outback Bowl and the Alamo Bowl, 2000 Big Ten Football MVP, and 2000 Maxwell Award winner.

One more familiar face to look for on Sundays – Defensive Lineman Ryan Kerrigan!
Kerrigan may not be a quarterback, but has made an early impact on the NFL. Kerrigan graduated from Purdue last year and was quickly drafted to the Redskins as a first round pick. In his pro debut, the recent grad tipped and intercepted a pass from New York Giants QB Eli Manning and returned it for a touchdown. Not a bad way to start of your NFL career! This play, along with 13 tackles in the same game and another tipped pass that resulted in an interception versus the Arizona Cardinals, has resulted in Kerrigan being named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month. Keep it up Ryan!

*Sources
www.espn.com
http://everyjoe.com/sports/the-new-orleans-saints-super-bowl-champions/
http://www.washingtontimes.com/multimedia/image/redskins_0738/

Amanda Norell is a junior at Purdue University where she is working toward a communication degree, supplemented by an art and design minor. A true Midwesterner, Amanda was born in Chicago and raised in northern Indiana, just minutes from the Michigan border. In addition to being Purdue's Campus Correspondent, Amanda is also a junior board member on Liberal Arts Student Council, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, and has both edited and written for The Exponent, Purdue's independent daily student newspaper.  She has held internships in both event planning and career development, and has her sights set on becoming an event and wedding planner after graduation. She cannot get enough of campus in the fall, crepes from Greyhouse, Urban Outfitters, and simply lovin' life.