Opinion Article: Post Election Thoughts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Post Election: Why Obama Still Needs To Be President 

Honestly, I was pretty shocked to watch Romney remain on Obama’s tail during the election.  I thought, what woman in this nation would want Romney, after everything he has said, to rule our country?  The answer will forever surprise me. 

What REALLY gets under my skin, however, is the fact that people blatantly choose to ignore the good that Obama has done for this country, hastily insinuating that he has rather sat on his ass and twiddled his thumbs.  Fortunately, this is not the case at all.

Obama has removed Bin Laden from our nation’s nightmares.  He has fought for every person’s right to marry who they love, and for every person to be able to have a career that they love, without being discriminated against.  He has ended the war that put our nation into suffocating debt.  But, you’ll have to excuse him if after only four short years he has not turned the economy a complete 360 degrees back to stability.    

Obama wants to raise taxes on the rich.  Why is this a good idea?  During the Eisenhower administration, the top marginal tax rates on the wealthy were at an astounding 90 percent.  The high taxes did not make the rich any less rich, it simply served to control greed and ensure that excess wealth was recycled back into our nation’s economy for research and development.

That’s all it takes, honestly.  I’m not sorry trickle down economics has proven again and again not to be a sufficient problem solver for this country.  We need to stop giving the richest, or the “job creators” as the Right would prefer them to be called, a break on their taxes.  It’s not true; they do not create enough jobs to save this country.  We need the rich to realize that you can still be disgustingly rich in this country while also helping your nation not to go down the drain. 

So yes, it bothers me when people whine and complain that Obama is still our president.  He is not going to make everyone poor and everyone’s future even poorer.  If it worked in our history, Obama’s plan will work to save our country again.  The Eisenhower administration saw a phenomenal growth in the middle class.  Why would we not want this?

Photo Source: http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/obama-wins-paper.jpeg?w=300

*All opinions and views expressed in this article are those of the writer’s and are not affiliated with the beliefs and views of Her Campus or Her Campus Purdue.

Leta is a senior at Purdue University studying Retail Management with a Certificate in Entrepreneurship & Innovation. Leta is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha and is obsessed with her sisters. An avid shopper and fashionista, Leta spends her time working as an Assistant Manager at Twenty Ten Boutique on Purdue's campus while managing their social media campaigns. Leta started writing for Her Campus Purdue in April of 2011. It was because of her extreme enthusiasm and passion for Her Campus that she was promoted to Purdue University's Campus Correspondent in January of 2012.