This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Between deadlines, exams, trying to stay involved, and everything else, keeping mentally-sane can seem almost impossible. Coming from a small town in Indiana and never moving before in my life to a Big Ten school that has more than six times the number of students enrolled than my town population was a big change. Growing up I never really talked about my mental health or my struggles. But college has helped me grow as a person and I now feel strong enough to open up about my struggles and maybe even help others

Currently I am being treated for ADHD, anxiety, and insomnia. I know ADHD is not a mental disorder, but it falls under the umbrella of mental health. I got tested and started to receive treatment for ADHD in the third grade. I never talked about it with my friends until later in high school. I was ashamed and felt that I already had so many things that made me different and I didn’t want one more. So, I had to study more than my friends and even get extra help with my school work.

Now that I am older I think I have a better control over it and I accept it as part of who I am. I don’t try and hide it, but I never mention unless somebody else does. I accept it without letting it define who I am.

I have known that I have had anxiety since the seventh grade. I remember being in health class learning about different types of mental health disorders. When we got to defining anxiety, I thought that I finally found a way of describing what goes on in my mind. I also felt happy that I wasn’t alone and that other people’s minds functioned like mine. However, I never spoke up about it to my parents because at the time I was afraid they would take me out of cheer or I would be sent away to get “better”. I didn’t speak up or talk about it until the end of my freshman year of college. I reached out to a friend I knew who was being treated for it and they helped me until I finally talked to my parents. I wish I had talked to them in the seventh grade because they have been so loving and supporting through everything. I have been getting treated for anxiety for over a year now. Anxiety is still the biggest struggle I face with my mental health, but I do think I have gotten better though.

My insomnia ties into my anxiety. I used to stay up worrying myself so much that I could not sleep. At one point I was awake for 52 hours because I was so worried about an exam that anytime I laid down I felt like my heart was pounding out of my chest.

After that I knew I needed to talk to someone. I reached out to my Mom and I set an appoint to see my psychiatrist. I have been receiving treatment for insomnia for over a year now. I do still have nights when I can’t sleep but only when I feel like it is too late to take my sleeping medicine.

As I have grown older I have become more aware how important it is to take the time to focus on mental health. I don’t feel embarrassed or ashamed anymore of my struggles and I hope opening up helps others. I know I have surrounded myself with a good support system.

However, I know not everyone is that lucky so if you don’t have anyone you feel like you can reach out to try seeing a therapist or even downloading an app that connects you to one. Also, don’t be afraid to call crisis hotlines.

Taylor is from a small farm town called McCordsville, Indiana but has some big goals set for herself. Currently she is studying selling and sales with a management minor at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana. In her free time Taylor enjoys photography and being a freelance model, traveling, spending time with her friends and family, and watching Netflix. You can follow her career @taylorbragdon on Instagram.
All the way from Phoenix, Arizona, Janice attends Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, where she is currently a bioengineering major. Spending her time daydreaming Janice can be found jamming out to any song, watching netflix, or studying for the terrifying tests she has around the corner. You can follow her adventures @janichan on instagram.