This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Dear Makeup,

Our relationship has changed throughout the years. My interest in wearing makeup sparked when I was 16 after I discovered beauty tutorials on YouTube. I was glued to the computer screen, mesmerized that these beauty gurus could seamlessly change the way they looked. I admired their passion and creative skill set, though deep down I wanted to hide all my imperfections and insecurities. I didn’t want people to see my uneven skin and dark circles. Though in retrospect, my skin wasn’t even that bad.

I desired nothing more than to be perfect and it came to a point where I wasn’t comfortable leaving the house without it. During my senior year of high school, I forced myself to go a day without makeup. It was horrifying thinking that people were judging me and I could hear them thinking, “Wow, she looks so different without makeup.” The funny thing was that I didn’t wear makeup my freshmen and sophomore year of high school. They say that ignorance is bliss, and sometimes I wish I hadn’t stumbled onto the videos. Then I might not have considered that there was anything wrong with my face and my skin might be clearer today.

I still cringe when I remember that one time I caked on so much foundation during my freshmen year of college for a school event that I left a blob of my foundation on my professor’s white cardigan after giving her a hug. I hope no one saw that and the stain was able to come out. Sadly, this wasn’t the only incident where I applied my makeup too heavily Don’t even get me started on my prom makeup.

As my college workload got heavier and my responsibilities began to stack, I gradually waned away from wearing it, especially since I was too tired in the morning to apply it.  Now I only wear it 2-3 times a week or I might go months without wearing it. It’s so liberating knowing that I am now in control and I can embrace my natural face more. Don’t get me wrong, makeup, I still love you. You’re there for me when I just want to hide my face from the world. You provide me with confidence to conquer my day, and help me to enhance my natural features so that when I take you off at night, I can appreciate them more. I’m not sure how I would feel if you were gone, but I also wish that I can learn to start my day without even having the thought at the back of mind if I should wear you or not.

Sherry is a senior at Purdue University majoring in professional writing and minoring in film. She plans on becoming a content writer or a copywriter, though she is also keeping her options open. She enjoys Youtube, her cat, Paisley, makeup, and writing.
Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.