This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I had the amazing opportunity to see Hamilton on Broadway in Chicago a few weeks ago. The actors, choreography, the story and the music all blew me away. Hamilton deserves all the hype and the songs are still playing on repeat in my head. Here’s a few of the songs that struck a chord with me and that everyone should find the time to listen to at some point. 

Wait for It

Wait for It shows off the powerful vocals of the original Aaron Burr actor, Leslie Odom Jr. The song details Burr’s yearning to finally be with his (married) lover, his struggle to continue the legacy his family started and his frustration of always coming up second next to Hamilton. He’s waiting for the day everything will be easier. His greatest desire is to finally have a win after so many losses. This song resonated with me so much, as well as with other listeners I’m sure, because everyone has experienced the frustrating feeling of coming up short or being second best to a co-worker, a sibling, or an opponent. We all know the overwhelming desire to want to be first, to want to win something, to finally not have to work so hard and achieve nothing while others can do so little and receive everything. It hits me every time because I feel his yearning, but I also feel his strength to carry on regardless because under the frustration and the pain there’s hope that his time will come, and he’s willing to wait for it.

Burn

Burn is Eliza Hamilton’s emotional ballad after her husband published the full account of his repeated infidelity to the public to avoid political skepticism over his spending habits. The song is sung flawlessly by Phillipa Soo as she burns all the letters Hamilton wrote to her during their courtship, cleansing herself of their relationship. I think Burn hits home for anyone who has ever been mistreated by a loved one or scorned in a relationship.

My Shot

While Alexander Hamilton gives the audience a synopsis of Hamilton’s life, My Shot is what allows the audience to see who Hamilton really is. The song talks about his ambitions, describes his personality and his drive to accomplish great things. It also serves as an introduction to all of Hamilton’s friends and their hopes and dreams. I loved My Shot not only because of its upbeat rhythm, but also because of its multiple meanings. My Shot on the surface is talking about Hamilton’s opportunity to achieve greatness in America but it’s also a nod to the literal liquor shots the men are taking in the scene and it alludes to the shot that will eventually take his life in the final act. It’s genius. The song definitely motivates me to not waste my shot, my opportunities, or my life because after all, I can achieve everything in America (right?).   

Yorktown

Yorktown is a full-fledged battle song. It’s about the battle that resulted in a victory over the British and the free country we live in today. It involves most of the cast and features the ensemble dancing with muskets in what I believe to be the best choreography in the show. It also gives each of Hamilton’s friends a chance to shine as they are all important to the war effort in some way. It’s intense, exciting, and flashy basically everything I could have asked for.

Satisfied

This song wrecked my life and you’re lying if you say this song didn’t affect you at least a little bit. The song begins at the wedding reception of Eliza and Hamilton. Angelica gives a toast to her sister the bride and her new husband, and all seems well until the toast stops and the song literally turns back time to reveal that Angelica met and fell in love with Hamilton way before her sister did. Angelica tells the audience all the reasons she can’t be with Hamilton, not only because her sister loves him but also because as the oldest she needs to carry on her family legacy by marrying someone of equal or higher status. And unfortunately, Hamilton is poor. The song ultimately ends with Angelica accepting that Hamilton will never be hers and wishing Eliza and Hamilton a happy and satisfying marriage. The worst part is, Eliza never learns about the sacrifice her sister made. As an older sister myself, I can honestly say I would have done the exact same thing. I can empathize with that decision, and I can empathize with the loss, with the pain and with the conflicted happiness she feels for her sibling. It leaves me in a puddle on the floor every time but I can’t help but put it on replay again and again.

Danielle Wilkinson is an Atlanta native and currently a senior at Purdue University studying Mass Communication. She is the co-correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Purdue. She has written for several online and print publications in the past including The Purdue Exponent, The Tab, Society 19, Study Breaks Magazine and Voy Study Abroad. She loves traveling, shopping and everything entertainment, especially movies and TV, but 90s rom coms will always be her favorite. She hopes to move to California one day to pursue a career in marketing. In her free time, she loves YouTube, watching movies with her friends, working on her novel, drinking tea and reading books.