My TBR (To-be-read) list: 5 books I cannot wait to read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I have to be honest: this semester was not at all what I was expecting it to be like. I thought the winter would bring about coziness, lots of time for lounging around and snuggling up inside, doing comforting activities like reading and sipping hot chocolate. In reality, it has been walking in the cold to get to multiple classes and meetings, staying up late doing Calc exercises and stressing over life. One of my resolutions for this year is to get more down time, to truly relax and prioritize time for myself and my wellbeing. Reading is one of the activities that grounds me the most, allowing me to escape my own thoughts and troubles if only for a moment. Here are 5 books on my to-read list which I am extremely excited about, and which you should try to read, too:

1. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

If you haven’t seen this book all over TikTok and Instagram, are you even on TikTok and Instagram? This novel has gone absolutely viral for its addicting and riveting prose, and provides the perfect amount of escapism if your life has been especially stressful lately.

2. It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

I’m not even that much into romance, and I have been dying to read this book. My friends who are not readers say they have absolutely loved it. If a book has the power to turn a non-reader into a bookworm, I believe it is definitely worth checking out!

3. The “A Court of Thorns and Roses ” series by Sarah J Mass

I read the first three books of this fantasy series during the quarantine, and to say I was hooked is an understatement. They were just my cup of tea, but for some reason, life got in the way and I never got around finishing the series. I am excited to see how the series developed, and for the plot twists I was warned about endlessly on TikTok (luckily without any spoilers!).

4. The Secret History by Donna Tart

This book is known for its Dark Academia aesthetic, morally gray characters and intriguing plot. I love this type of aesthetic, so I have been extremely excited to read this book for a while now!

5. Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller

This is another fantasy book that I see constantly being talked about on TikTok for its adventurous aesthetic and Pirates of the Caribbean-esque feel. I am actually taking a Pirates class this semester, so I’m even more excited to read this book!

Go ahead and order some of these books and treat yourself to a relaxing afternoon of reading immersing yourself in new worlds and adventures. You deserve it!

Alessandra is the vice-president of Her Campus at the Purdue chapter. She monitors article progress, ensuring they are uploaded on time and helps solve any problems that may arise. She is currently a senior at Purdue, majoring in Business Management, minoring in English Literature and concentrating in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Alessandra has worked for Victoria's Secret PINK as a campus ambassador, helping with the marketing and communications of the brand. She is passionate about entertainment and wants to work in the industry after she graduates. In her free time, Alessandra loves doing any kind of sport or physical activity. If she's not surfing, swimming or dancing, you can find her eating pasta, reading, making very specific music playlists, watching movies and traveling everywhere she can.