My Horrible Traveling Experience Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

I should have knocked on wood in December when I wrote about how I never had a bad traveling experience until then. Once again, I have a horrible experience to shar with you, and this time it was my fault.

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to travel to Ireland over spring break with my best friend and her family, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. 

There was some confusion with my returning flight back to the U.S., but I thought everything had been worked out because my booking looked fine on the website. My mom kept telling me to check to make sure my ticket was all set but I didn’t listen to her.

I got to the airport with the perfect amount of time to make it through security and customs. I finally got to the check-in desk and I found out that my mom had been right. There was a problem with my ticket back to the U.S. She told me to go to customer service and to come right back to her. I walked over to the customer service line which wasn’t too long but it wasn’t exactly short. I thought I would make it through the line in time to make my flight though I would still have to rush through security and customs. Boy was I wrong. I stood in that line for almost an hour and a half and waited as I heard the last boarding call for my flight be announced. I watched as the clock moved closer to my takeoff time. I was frantically texting my mom trying to figure out what I was going to do. When I finally made it up to the customer service desk I was told that I had in fact missed my flight. I felt as if tears were going to start streaming down my face.

Luckily, I had options. I looked at the departure list and hoped I could at least get on the Boston flight. If I could get on that flight, I was flying with my best friend which made me even happier. Sadly, that flight was full, so I was forced to fly into Hartford, CT and have my mom drive two hours to pick me up and bring me home. Luckily, my mom agreed and since that flight wasn’t full I was able to score one of the lasts seats on it. I had my ticket and I blew through security and customs.

By the time I landed in the United States I was so full of emotions. I was still stressed because of all the confusion but so incredibly happy that I got to see my mom, sister, my friends, and most importantly my cat. I know that the experience in Dublin was stressful but I always say that everything happens for a reason and I know that reason I missed my flight was so that I could see some of the people I love and miss the most. 

Karly McNeish is a freshman at Purdue University studying Public Health. She loves traveling, Gilmore Girls and trying new foods. She is originally from New England and Boston will always have her heart. Karly is a new member of the Twin Pines Cooperative House and she could not be more excited to start her new adventure with all the other Twin Pines Girls. Follow Karly on instagram @karlymcn.
Jennifer Rowella is from Ridgefield, Connecticut. She is a junior at Purdue University studying Speech, Language, and Hearing sciences and is the Senior Editor of Her Campus Purdue. Jennifer enjoys reading, cooking, watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix, and being a part of various clubs on campus.