This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Today I am leaving Purdue to spend the weekend in Nashville, TN with my best friends. I am so excited to see them but I’m not so excited about the six hour car ride. I have done long car rides before and I know that the best way to get through them is to have a rocking playlist to jam out to. Here are the eight artists/bands that are my go-tos for car rides.

1. Ed Sheeran

He is my favorite artist of all time. I have seen him in concert four times and I’m seeing him for the fifth time this summer. All of Ed Sheeran’s music is pure gold and he makes the perfect road trip artist. He has fast songs that make you want to roll down all the windows and scream the lyrics as loud as you can, but he also has songs that make you just think about life. No matter what song comes on the playlist, I know that it will be amazing. My favorite songs of his to listen to in the car are: Castle on the Hill, You Need Me I Don’t Need You, and Galway Girl.

2. Vance Joy

Now a lot of people don’t know that much about Vance except that he sang Riptide. I have had the opportunity to see Vance in concert and he is pure perfection. Vance only has one full album out right now but the songs are all beautiful. While Vance is a master of slow meaningful songs, he does have a couple faster songs that will keep you awake during a long car ride. My favorite songs of his to listen to in the car are: Riptide, First Time, and Fire and the Flood.

3. Jamie Lawson

I would assume that most people have not heard about Lawson. I only discovered him when he opened for Vance but after he sang one song I knew he was something special. He is a British singer, and was the first person signed to Ed Sheeran’s record label. Like Vance, he is a master of slow songs but he does have some faster songs as well. I love listening to Jamie while driving or walking to class because his songs and voice are the perfect combination to make you feel less stressed than you actually are. My favorite songs to listen to while driving are: Wasn’t Expecting That, Ahead of Myself and Cold in Ohio.

4. The Chainsmokers

Now the above three artists have a lot of slow songs with a few faster ones mixed in but the Chainsmokers have tons of fast songs to keep you energized on the road. Their new album just dropped and it is perfection. I love that these two were the creators behind #Selfie because now their music is so much different and way more personal. Their songs are perfect for jamming out in the car and screaming out the lyrics while no one is listening. The best songs to listen to in the car are: My Type, Paris, and Closer (because of course).

5. Shawn Mendes

It’s weird to think that just three years ago Mendes was just another vine star with the likes of Nash Grier and Cameron Dallas. Now Mendes is an amazing performer and has two incredible albums with songs that are more than relatable. What makes Mendes even more amazing is that he is so humble about everything and is genuinely thankful for the opportunities he has. Mendes, like Sheeran, has a knack for slow songs but he does have some really great songs that make you want to jump up and dance. I recommend listening to: Treat You Better, Roses, and I Know What You Did Last Summer while driving in the car. 

6. One Direction

Now don’t lie. Everyones’ guilty pleasure is blasting One Direction songs when they’re alone in the car. Almost every song, even if it’s slow, puts me in a better mood because I know all the words and will basically yell them as I’m driving down the highway. While I highly recommend their new stuff, I think that the best songs to jam to in the car are their old stuff because it has that boy band pop feel that is perfect for long car rides with or without friends. My go-to One Direction Songs are: Nobody Compares, Rock Me, and Better Than Words.

7. Taylor Swift

This one is self-explanatory. Who doesn’t love jamming to a good Taylor Swift song when they’re driving. I have so many memories of driving with the windows down, hair blowing in my face, singing the lyrics to her songs at the top of my lungs with all my friends in the car. I honestly think that no matter what album you pick there are perfect driving songs because, well, she’s perfect. The songs I love the most to sing along to while driving are: You Belong With Me, Enchanted, and Wish You Would.

8. Chance The Rapper

I don’t have a ton of Chance’s songs on my playlist but a few here and there to bring up the mood. Sometimes listening to ten pop songs back-to-back can get a little tiring, so putting in a couple rap songs is perfect for a road trip. His songs have a nice beat tone and come in handy when you feel as if you won’t be able to make it to your destination. I recommend listening to: Cocoa Butter Kisses, Summer Friends and No Problem. 

Karly McNeish is a freshman at Purdue University studying Public Health. She loves traveling, Gilmore Girls and trying new foods. She is originally from New England and Boston will always have her heart. Karly is a new member of the Twin Pines Cooperative House and she could not be more excited to start her new adventure with all the other Twin Pines Girls. Follow Karly on instagram @karlymcn.
Jennifer Rowella is from Ridgefield, Connecticut. She is a junior at Purdue University studying Speech, Language, and Hearing sciences and is the Senior Editor of Her Campus Purdue. Jennifer enjoys reading, cooking, watching too many episodes of Criminal Minds on Netflix, and being a part of various clubs on campus.